Tuesday 13 June 2023

13/06/23 - West Bromwich High Street for a Book Launch Event

A Desi Pub Crawl, with a new book to tick


Last visit to West Bromwich was 5 years ago. Then, there were 5 Good Beer Guide Pubs to tick. Now there are just 2 and neither of them is along the High Street. 

Is there a new game in town? Desi pubs have been with us for an age, but this year sees the release of a first book to highlight their history and tell the stories of the people who run them.

Later in the evening, I am attending the book launch promoted by Birmingham Camra.

First - a walk from Dudley Street Tram Stop to Kenrick Park. Entertainment?  An Adventure Lab Cache showing architecture from an age when there was civic pride. A haircut, where I think they use different clipper grading to my home town. I've gone from suedehead to skinhead.  

The pubs.

The Old Hop Pole has lost its place in the bible. Its also seems to have lost a bit of the Albion paraphernalia that I enjoyed last time. But it may be I didn't explore enough, as on entry, I was engaged in a conversation with the other patron and the landlord. Three real ales on and I risked the heat to go for a decent conditioned Proper Job.

The Old Hop Pole, West Bromwich
The Old Hop Pole for Proper Job

Over the road is the handsome looking Wheatsheaf.  Talk about unusual opening hours. Try Thursday.

The Wheatsheaf, West Bromwich
On a Tuesday - as much use as an ashtray on a motorbike

I thought I might be in time for the Billiard Hall before JDW sold it off. Alas, it has already closed down. The Express and Star publishing one of those heart breaking human interest stories.  

The Billiard Hall, West Bromwich
I believe its going near full circle and becoming a pool hall.

Pat the milkman - now 60 - has been going here since he was 16. Where will he go now? My guess is the Sandwell just around the corner.

Union Craft Bar, West Bromwich
Clucking crazy - its next to PFC

Not a bad crowd of old boys for a Tuesday afternoon. Lots of smooth pour, lots of Guinness. Timothy Taylor was the only cask on and a part of me was relieved when I was told it was actually off. Always better to stick with keg in these places.

No sign of Pat. I would have liked to have congratulated him on being the last of his kind.

The Prince of Wales is next - a desi pub that gets a whole chapter in the book I will own later in the day. Over four pages, David Jesudason writes about this being the most authentic desi pub in the land.

"... is like a building that has been shrink wrapped and shipped in from India, without being touched by British influence..."

He then tells the personal story of the landlord - Jinder Birring Singh - and my day could only have been improved if I had heard him play the single string tumbi, as is his want on Saturday evenings.

Prince of Wales, West Bromwich
PoW - Punjabi signage

I was reading the menu - loud and proud on the outside of the building - wondering what delights to have for the bargain main course price of around £8 when I was delivered the news that the Chef doesnt work on Tuesdays.

Prince of Wales, West Bromwich
It was OK - they had peanuts.  A reassuring cheap (in here) lager.

Onwards to the book launch location. The Vine needs no introduction to me. I am a Baggies fan and rightly, the pub is one of the highlights of the day for both home and visiting fans. There is a new desi player closer to the ground, but I am not detailing that in case it gets as busy as here. The Royal Oak is my little secret. Damn.

The Vine, West Bromwich
The Tardis of Desi Pubs - Huge inside.

So what happens at a book launch?

Well, it wasn't as well attended as I expected - may have been the early-ish start of 6pm. May have been the fact that a tree had taken out the trams.

Whilst giving an extra half hour for people to make it, I was introduced to members of Birmingham Camra and the author himself. Oh, and of course, I also had time for a mixed grill.

The format of the event was a Q and A session, with plenty of audience interaction, including owners and families of some of the businesses detailed in the book.

From the brief chapter I have read on the Prince of Wales, and the way the Q and A went - this is a strong representation of the book.... tales from the newly located, how they got started (my granddad worked in Black Country foundries but alas, didn't think of opening a pub).  It was fascinating to hear from the next generation and how things have changed.

The biggest thing that encouraged the growth of desi pubs?

The Smoking Ban.

Great stuff and finishing in time for me to get home on public transport when the trams aren't running and the last bus home is 9pm.

Desi Pubs by David Jesudason
Signed copy - I had commented on the Author's Twitter Check in at Marple Bridge



2 comments:

  1. Lovely stuff. Remember my first visit to the Vine many years ago with pleasure and astonishment. Must explore more Desi Pubs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers..... I can point you towards a great guide book 🤣

      Delete