Friday 9 June 2023

09/06/23 - Catacombs and Craft in the Jewellery Quarter

 A hidden city walk unsurprisingly turns into a Pub Crawl


This is a proper walk. From a proper walking book. Yet a walk filled with distractions that could not be denied.

I'd been interested in the Jewellery Quarter's Catacombs since I'd seen organised tours advertised on Twitter. I'm sure an expert guide would have provided more of an insight but I need to save my pennies for craft beers. Deya are taking the pee, big time.

Respects paid to the perspex covered Banksy on the station's bridge and a quick tour of two graveyards.  Key Hill and Warstone, with the latter containing the catacombs - a Victorian plan for coping with overcrowding that surprisingly, took its last guest in 1982.

Banksy
Art - Banksy at the Railway Station
Key Hill Cemetary
Shade - Key Hill Cemetary
Catacombs, Warstone Lane
Death - Catacombs at Warstone Lane

My walking book tells me about the famous residents - from aboriginal princes to a policeman murdered by the Peaky Blinders to a purveyor of custard powder.

Birmingham has the lot.

As well as the guide I have an Adventure Lab Cache (ALC) of Birmingham Pubs with Food to complete. Most places known to me but not the Pig and Tail.

Pig and Tail, Birmingham
Grade II Listed - Formerly the George and Dragon

A solid looking Victorian Boozer that had a quite tasteful refit in 2016. Popular with teachers clocking off for the weekend, demanding their fix of Craft Beers, fine wines and cocktails (probably).  Pollys Brew Little Petal on keg looking like it will handle the heat better than a Wye Valley HPA.

The next stage of the ALC is 1000 Trades - A Good Beer Guide regular and therefore, well known to me. I can resist anything but temptation and have to see what is on offer.  A first Glasshouse Brewery Dahlia making up for their taproom being closed when I investigated the Stirchley Beer Mile.

A lovely keg Pale Ale, breeze from the open doors, 6music playing on the radio (Lamacq, can't have too much fun) and watching commuters make their way home in the heat. Come in for the craft is my sirens call. Those with lack of willpower, or were coming anyway, falter.

1000 Trades, Birmingham
Come in, we have Craft Beer and Natural Wine

Back to the walking to the next destination - passing the Pen and Coffin Museums. Rarely a blog from Birmingham without a picture of a canal.

Canals
Not going to mention Venice.  Damn.

The Attic Barrel Store is the latest addition to the Birmingham drinking scene. Does what it says on the tin. A railway arch under Snow Hill for the Attic Brewery to barrel age their beers. I've been once to say I have. I may go again to impress friends with my knowledge of off-grid drinking dens.

Their tap room at Bournville has far more atmosphere.

Attic Barrel Store
Drinking next to the Barrels

A repeat visit to The Wolf brings back fond memories of when I gatecrashed #Summerfest from a well known podcast that I am delighted to say is back in operation. They announced their closure on the day I decided to join their gang. Make of that what you will.

I really like the Wolf. This was the only place where I had a proper greeting, where the barstaff asked how my day was going. Hats of to them for still looking interested when I told them I was investigating Victorian burial grounds.

Great choice of beers but something has gone wrong with the world.  A 6% Deya going for £8.40.

I'm saying nothing. Except Nothing Bound. Known in Stourbridge micropubs as the Deya Slayer and nowhere near as expensive.  I don't blame the bar - on the same weekend, the same pint was £7 in Kidderminster's Weavers. Kidderminster's Bear and Wolf rarely stock Deya for fear of riot incitement.

The Bear, Birmingham
What would you do? Me?  Abbeydale Hinterland

The Desi Pub - Hen and Chickens - is over the road. It's a good sign when every single table is reserved. Using all my silver tongued charm - and promising not to order a Kulfi - I manage to blag a table, as long as I am away by 8pm.

Hen and Chickens, Birmingham
Cask AND Curry OR Cobra

Best Chicken Jalfezi I think I have ever had.

Head back to the Station with a nightcap in mind. Lord Clifden appears to be temporarily closed but there is a pub window that cannot be denied.

Rose Villa Tavern
Rose Villa Tavern - as if you needing informing


Walk Details

Distance - 3.5 Miles

Previous Birmingham AZ Walks - Walk 1 & 2

Pubs - 6 (but more can easily be added)

Walk Inspiration - AZ - Hidden Walks in Birmingham Walk 3


No comments:

Post a Comment