Sunday 8 January 2023

08/01/23 - It's ROYAL Wootton Bassett for the Five Bells

The first Geocaching trip of 2023 leads to a fine Good Beer Guide Tick

Down into Wiltshire for the first away trip of 2023. Don't tell Purple Lenny but the Travelodge was cheaper and the parking looked easier.

But first, an uneventful geocaching walk to try and meet the 1000 target I set myself every year.  geocaches were plentiful, the walking a mixture of quiet lanes, waterlogged fields and dingly dells. Little to report from Tockenham.

Geocaching in Wiltshire
Releasing Travel Bugs into Wiltshire

I'd planned post walk refreshment before leaving. The Good Book having nothing listed under Wootton Bassett but if you add a "Royal" to the equation, you will be steered towards the Five Bells.

And what a gem! Who doesn't like a town centre thatched pub? Especially when it shows evidence of either high beer turnover or poor draymanship.

Five Bells, Wotton Bassett
Look at those barrels

A spectacular entrance that involved vaulting a churchyard wall was almost enough to put me off taking shortcuts for life. In through the door and with a bar, rear bar and restaurant packed with roast diners, there was nothing else for it. I'll get in everybody's way by taking the final bar stool.  The dead centre of three.

This gave me time to work my eyes left to right at the 5 cask offerings.... I almost stopped at #1 - an Uley Brewery Old Spot.

But then, I would have missed the oldest trade mark in the world.

Bass in the Five Bells, Wottonn Bassett
It's the Red Triangle of Bass.  

A conversation starter with the bar staff, who did a fine job of feigning interest in my questions about frequency on offer, so I can let a twitter friend maintain a spreadsheet. She enthusiastically asked to be included, as its very popular with the locals. In my 45 minutes of bar hanging, it was only outsold by Thatchers.

Pub walls scanned for the Cask Marque QR code (I'm nearly up to going on a beer tasting training course) and finding evidence that you've unearthed a gem.  

20+ years a GBG Regular.

A pleasure to sit and watch Becci and the team in action from the best seat in the house.

If you like continually shuffling from left and right.

Five Bells, Wotton Bassett
(Special) Award Winning

Pub Scoring

 

 

Appearance 

4/5

Thatched!  Evidence of high Beer Turnover.

Drinks

5/5

5 Cask. Bass. Uley Old Spot. Oakham Citra. Cocktails.

Atmosphere

4/5 

Bar staff who seemed genuinely interested in an Internet hosted Spreadsheet listing Bass outlets.

Every table taken.

Including the Beer Garden.  In Jan.

Delightful Surprises

3/5 

20 Years in the Good Book showing long term consistency.


Walk Information

Distance - 4.5 Miles

Geocaches - 30

First Geocache

Good Beer Guide Tick - #776



1 comment:

  1. Every table taken, blimey ! For as long as I can remember Wootton Bassett has mean the Five Bells, which I seem to drive pass every 5th year. I resent it being under "R" in the GBG !

    ReplyDelete