Saturday 25 April 2020

25/04/20 - Wyre Forest at Button Oak

Distance - 5.5 Miles
Walk Inspiration - Country Walking Magazine Oct 1994, Walk 11


For the first time since lockdown (5 weekends and counting), the car was used for the weekend walk.  I'm not being irresponsible - the rules have been "clarified"

The guidance says driving to the countryside and walking is considered reasonable - but only where far more time is spent walking than driving.

Using common sense, I am much less likely to meet other people in the massive expanse of the Wyre Forest than I am on my daily route that takes me along narrow towpaths and through town centres.

A 30 minute round trip drive to Earnswood Copse - moments past the forlorn Banks Button Oak pub - for a 2 and half hour qualifying walk.

The Wyre Forest offers 10 square miles of woodland.   This, the Shropshire part, is far more wild and remote than from the Long Bank Visitor Centre.  I have two features to bring you - trees and a lengthy stretch along Dowel's Brook.

The only people we see are the odd groups of Mountain Bikers - 4 in the largest party and I cannot say with certainty that they lived in the same house.

But who am I to cast aspersions?

Wyre Forest
Bluebells are out in the Wyre Forest.   It all looks like this.
Walking Partners
Same Household walking Partners
Dowells Brook
Dowles Brook




No comments:

Post a Comment