Sunday 19 April 2020

19/04/20 - Stagborough Hill

Distance - 8.5 Miles



Weekend 4 of Lock Down.  Rules appear to be relaxed to say that "You can drive for a walk, but the walking must take longer than the exercise". Not much help - I've been known to walk for longer than it would take me to complete a return drive to the Lake District.

For this week, I will continue with walks from my front door.  The 3rd nearest Trig Point to home is my aim.


So it's back through town to pick up the River Severn, before abandoning the waterway for the road known locally as the Switchback.  No need to worry about traffic today

The River
View from a bridge and a walkers shadow
The path to Stagborough Hill (all 124m of it) is at Coneygreen Farm.   The right of way skirts the actual trig point but there appears to be a permissive path for those baggers that have to touch their quarry.

Up Stagborough Hill
The ROW over Stagborough Hill, summit to the right
For me, the paths through Ribbesford Woods are the highlight.  I've rarely walked them and the shaded woodlands paths offer tranquility, where the only sound is birdsong.   Except I have my earphones in, trying valiantly to work my way through the NME Top 50s from 1978 to 1985 that someone has been sharing on a Spotify Playlist.   Reggae diminishes as the years pass.

Paths get vague on the exit to the woods, but I work my way to Gladderbrook Farm and lane walking on Jennings Wood Lane all the way to Dunley.   A geocache in the community library/phone box and a pub called the Dog that's of little use today.  I'm slowly losing the gained height but there are some fine views over Malvern, Abberley and Stourport.

Views from the Top
Looking over Stourport from Jennings Wood Lane
Back through Astley, town and shopping for essentials at the Co-op.  We're out of Bread and Gin.

Next week, I may see if the car starts.   Its currently achieving a fuel efficiency of 5 weeks per litre.


No comments:

Post a Comment