Saturday 2 September 2023

02/09/23 - Psychogeography in Digbeth

Urban Rambling with the Bluenoses

The blog is in danger of becoming too urban. Two weeks running with the Baggies at home for a 3pm kick off. Once again, I tackle a city walk from my AZ Hidden Walks in Birmingham Guide.

This quirky little route is concentrated around the eastern side of Digbeth High Street. As usual, unusual items of interest are pointed out. The effigies that brighten up the Institute. An out of place monument to JFK. The unique in the UK open air pulpit on St Martins in the Bullring. Junkies stopping me bringing you a photo of that particular piece of architectural interest.

I also got a look inside the Bull Ring Tavern. Not as scary as I always thought, even when packed at 10.30am with football fans. I'd neglected to take into account that the Blues were at home at midday. They were out in force all around Digbeth. Who knows where the Milwall fans were, but most pubs had "Home Fans only" on the signs. 

Tavern in the Town, looking onto St Martins
Craft Union now running the Tavern in the Town?
One of several effigies on the front of the Institute
A pre-preemptive effigy on the front of the Institue
JFK - Appealing to Birmingham's Irish population.
JFK - Celebrating his Irish Roots

I'm not sure where this left me as a Baggie.... but I'm too old and fat to wear replica kits, so I'll go incognito for mid and post walk refreshment.

First, random bimbling around the deserted back streets that would have been terrifying if not totally deserted by people - excluding those queuing to buy vintage clothes by the kilo.

It always surprises me how empty Birmingham feels whenever you leave the centre. It provide ample opportunity for street artists to do their thing.

Digbeth Street Art
Digbeth Street Art

I had plans for which hospitality venues to visit, but on an Urban walk, flexibility is key. I was never going to walk on past Dead Wax. Especially once the outside boozers had noticed I wasn't from Wapping.

Dead Wax, Birmingham
Beer, Vinyl, Live Music - Welcoming Party

Excellent music. If you are a mod. More of a ruin bar than the ruin bar coming up, with all sorts of obsolete technology nailed to the walls. Super little sheltered beer garden.

Siren in Dead Wax
Edgy, like Hoxton, Prices to match with a £6.50 Siren

The Bluenoses thin out after midday, leaving me to still wonder how they will walk a mile and get to their seat in time.

I have company at the Baggies and my son was interested in previous experiences of Zumhoff. A taste of Bavarian Beer Garden in Brum. They also have Pilsner Urquell tanks for fresh beer.

I asked the barman how the tanks of filled and he said "Never seen it happen mate, as it only gets refreshed every 6 months". I laughed until I tasted. The beer was sour and quickly swapped for Paulaner.

Fresh Pilsner Urquell
I cannot accuse him of lying - tasted 6 months old

More European style boozing as we leave Germany for Hungary and our answer to the Budapest ruin bars.

The Ruin follows the disheveled blueprint well, even if there is little imagination with the nomenclature. One day, I will explore the beer garden.  And bring you interior photographs.

The Ruin Bar
The Ruin

Regular blogfans may have spotted a couple of missed tick opportunities. I was too early for Halton Turner and Digbrew is dead, permanently closed since January 2023.

Digbrew Birmngham
One for the dubious ticks committee 


Walk Details

Distance - 3 Miles

Walk Inspiration - AZ - Hidden Walks in Birmingham Walk 5

Previous Birmingham AZ Walks - Walk 1 & 2Walk 3, Walk 4

Pubs - 3 



No comments:

Post a Comment