Saturday 26 August 2023

26/08/23 - Edgbaston Reservoir and a Pair of Tap Rooms

A Waterway Walk in the Second City

The first Saturday 3pm kick off of the Baggies season that I can make, so I combine pleasures. The railways may be broken but the trams are still going. An AZ City walk is in order.

This is a simple route - 30 minutes on the Birmingham Canal to pick up Edgbaston Reservoir.

Birmingham Canal
Along the Birmingham Canal

The reservoir was built in 1824 by Thomas Telford to supply the canal system. It's now home to the Birmingham Sailing club, with a 1.75m path around the perimeter. You can say hello to people working in the opposite direction. Twice, if your speeds are not in sync.

Edgbaston Reservoir
Looking over the city

A brief detour to take in Perrott's Folley - dating from 1758 and known as "The Monument", even if the true purpose is lost in time.

Perrott's Folley, Birmingham
Probably just Perrott showing off

Onto pre-match booze.

Working my way through some rather fine Adventure Lab Caches, I am compelled to visit a couple of tap rooms.

Sommar is first up. You wouldn't think a tap room next to a Lego shop would work. And you'd be right. Its too isolated from the rest of town and I am not sure I want my drinking to be in a place where kids eat for free. I'm more a  "kids can  have some pop and crisps in the car" kind of dinosaur.

Sommer Brewery Tap Room
A Tap Room in front of a plastic giraffe
Sommar Waves at the Tap Room
Sommer Waves - A Citra and Cascade Pale Ale

I'll give their extensive range of craft another try - but at their other location in town.... very close to my second and final bar today.

But first, some evidence contrary to the opinions of those at the other end of HS2 - the Old Oak Common philistines. 

Birmingham is alright.

Outside the library
View from our library 
Council House
And our council House

Which leads to the Thornbridge Colmore Tap..... a relatively new addition our drinking scene and possibly replacing the Old Joint Stock as my "go to" destination. Somehow, they have made a new build bar have a comfortable pubby feel, which appears lived in and authentic. The range of beers is always amazing. I am a patron of their monthly subscription box, which easily puts Thornbridge as my most checked in brewery on Untappd.

Yet faced with all this choice, its rare that I venture from Jaipur on cask. It nearly happened on my last visit but I failed to notice the redesigned pump clip for Kelham Islan Pale Rider - which remains only sampled in can.

Jairpur in the Colmore Tap
Perfect pint in a perfect venue

Everything is going too well and it's time to make my way to the Hawthorns. Surely the baggies won't let me down today, will they?

Another Season at the Hawthorns
Shoot four times, score four goals..... 4-2 winners against a sorry 'Boro


Walk Details

Distance - 3.5 Miles

Walk Inspiration - AZ - Hidden Walks in Birmingham Walk 4

Previous Birmingham AZ Walks - Walk 1 & 2, Walk 3

Pubs - 2 



No comments:

Post a Comment