Sunday 25 July 2021

25/07/21 - Isleworth and the London Apprentice

Distance - 4 Miles

Geocaches - 1

Walk Inspiration - Walking Village London



My primary reason for being here on a Sunday morning was to tick off another of the pubs that Len Deighton recommended in his book, London Dossier.  I think this is number 7 out of the 11 that remain.  Progress being made.

It nearly didn't happen.  I enjoyed some Adventure Lab Caches in the City and kept an eye on the trains to Isleworth. The Pingdemic had taken its toll, with many cancellations.  Yet the 10:50 was on time and I had 5 minutes to scuttle from the London Eye to Platform 16, carrying a hot sausage roll, a black coffee and an precariously balanced oyster card.  I made it into the first carriage, with seconds to spare.

I then relaxed with my delayed breakfast, hearing the train guard announce something about the last set of doors not opening at one station but not getting past his guttural mumbles to know which.

Of course, it was Isleworth.  I was there furiously pressing an unlit button, seeing the station below.  Another Jame Bond move and I am successfully leaping through closing doors in the next carriage along, rolly-pollying onto the platform.

All that excitement - for an OK Walk.  

  • Follow the Duke of Northumberland River, an artificial waterway
  • Fail to find a Multi Cache - ignore the southern spur on the map.
  • Find Isleworth Ait, an island in the Thames
  • Determine it wasn't the Germans that destroyed the Church in 1943 but some arsonists.
    • who I bet blamed the Germans
  • Learn about the Isleworth Plague Pit
    • black death, not Covid
  • Have lunch at the London Apprentice

The Photos
Duke of Nothumberland River
Duke of Northumberland River
Isleworth Views
First views of Isleworth Ait
First views of the River
Could have been a multi pub walk
Isleworth Church
The Church - Don't blame the Germans


The London Apprentice
London Apprentice
Handsome London Apprentice

A regular entry in the Good Beer Guide, including the latest.  I like a pub that details the history on a sign to save me writing about it.

London Apprentice
Also a rowing stop off point for the er... London Apprentices


It obviously has a super enviable position - the beer garden providing wonderful riverside views.
20210725_125503
Beer Garden Views


Inside, it has a traditional, low ceiling feel that made me feel instantly comfortable but with no need to photograph.

There may have been more than one real ale on, but like always, I failed to get past the Timothy Taylor.

Good Service and an excellent Sunday Lunch.

Not bad at all from a tourist pub.

On this occasion, Len was right.



No comments:

Post a Comment