Friday 23 July 2021

23/07/21 - The Beautiful South - A Pub Crawl from the Blythe Hill Tavern

Distance - 3.5 Miles

Pubs - 5

If there was one good thing to come from lockdown, it was the discovery of beer podcasts.

There are a few that I now cannot live without.  The ever informative Beer O'Clock Show.  The "3 men in a boat" style travels of Maltravale.

But the one that most amused, and provided inspiration was Deserter Blog.  The adventures of two South London drinkers, who promote their area and a design for life that I had accidentally found myself following without their advice.  It resonated most when I found myself howling with laughter at their regular Bumdosser section, whilst listening at a band-stand shelter in an empty park.  In January. Can of beer in hand.

Even in lockdown, I had to get out the house.  

I felt I had to get to know their part of the world better - and in particular, the multi-award winning Blythe Hill Tavern.  A quick google took me to a CAMRA recommended pub crawl which included it as starting point. Perfect. I spent more time plotting it in Google Maps than reading the instructions, which suggested I should have been taking the bus between locations.  

A true Bumdosser would not have walked.


Alighting the train at Catford Bridge, I was instantly hit by the sights, sounds and smells that the podcast suggested would be prevalent.  

Blythe Hill Tavern
That 10 Foot Gets Everywhere in London

The Blythe Tavern, 319 Standstead Road

Blythe Hill Tavern
Unassuming Exterior

On entry, my pub ticking skills are honed to get an idea of the layout.  

The locals - eclectic.  The ones nearest the entrance are in a discussion so frenzied, I am unsure if they are best of friends or worst of enemies.

The layout - a narrow front room.  Something going on around the opposite side of the bar.  Looks like a garden - I'll get my pint and see if I can recognise the blog authors from descriptions gained audibly or from their illustrations in their excellent book, "Today South London, Tomorrow South London"

The bar - loads of Irish themed decorations.  The bar staff all resplendent in shirts and ties.  Except one, who like the rebellious school kid, is pushing the uniform policy as far as he can.  Half mast, big knot.  And I noticed if you order Guinness, they will hand deliver it to the garden.

Blythe Hill Tavern
The Bar

The beer - Harveys Sussex Best was quickly spotted - despite me not having seen it for at least 17 months.  If I was being authentic to the podcast, it should have been Hophead's Dark Star.

I head off exploring in the garden.  Where the locals are overlooking the perimiter.

Blythe Hill Tavern
Need to check out Next Door

All of life is contained within the garden and as a solo drinker, it's an eavesdropped paradise.  Two old boys get increasingly argumentative about many subjects.  Covid rules are a given for debate.  Whether the kid show hosts Trevor and Simon were one person or two was more unexpected.  Neither would back down.

On the subject of kids - there are an awful lot of free range ones charging around.  Their parents (the men at least) are in a uniform of Hawaiian Shirts, Shorts, Sandals and little hats.  If my Podcast creators are in here, I'm not going to easily spot them from the South London herd camouflage.  

To be honest with you, there's enough going on here on a Friday night to fill a blog alone.  

I feel that I haven't got enough photos but its too busy to charge around like a Japanese tourist.  I come up with the idea of a bit of surreptitious videoing.  It's not wholly unsuccessful.  Audio on, you will hear the shout of "Learn yourself!".  

I think it provides the uninitiated a feel for this most perfect of places.

BlytheHillTavern
Next Time, I am spending the day here.

The pub crawl instructions state the buses that I should have caught.  Then again, I would have missed the South's alternative to Primrose Hill.  The views from Blythe Hill Fields are not done justice from my photo.  Neither will you get a feel for all the ups and downs that need to be walked between the Honour Oak, Dulwich and Herne Hill.

Blythe Hill Fields
Views only found on foot - Blythe Hill Fields

The other pubs on my crawl were all quite similar and I would be proud to call any of them my local.  Massive pubs, with huge outside areas providing comfy seating and the occasional firepit.  With punters outside, the interiors were always empty, providing easy access to the bar on this first post "Freedom Day" Friday. The wares can be perused to maximise the chances of the correct selection.  Excellent condition beer in all; 

  1. Watson's General Telegraph - Redemption Brewery Hopspur
  2. Herne Tavern - Harvey's Sussex Best
  3. Crown and Greyhound - London Pride
  4. Half Moon - London Pride
A photo summary;

Watsons General Telegraph
Forest Hill Tavern - Rebranded as Watsons General Telegraph

Watsons General Telegraph
Where I need to learn how to photograph reflective surfaces

Herne Tavern, East Dulwich
Herne Tavern - the only place still continuing with App Ordering

Crown and Greyhound, Dulwich
Crown and Greyhound - Dulwich surprised me with it's village feel and empty streets

The Half Moon, Herne Hill
My 2nd Favourite of the Night - 4 pumps on, all London Pride

The Half Moon, Herne Hill
Where the trees are lit up

The Half Moon, Herne Hill
And Victoria is only 11 mins away from over the road

An excellent night.  All pubs new to me and not a duff one amongst them.

Plenty of future inspiration at the London Pub Group Pub Crawl page.

But I think I will be going back to the BHT.


No comments:

Post a Comment