Tuesday 29 November 2016

29/11/16 - The Station Inn, Kidderminster

Who would have thought that Kidderminster, a town that's not had the best of fortunes, has five Camra Good Beer Guide entries in 2017?

Who would have thought that the King and Castle wouldn't be one of them?

Due to a very delayed train, I found myself in K&C.  Characterful pub, linking in with the Severn Valley Railway themed nostalgia.  Roaring fire.  8 real ales on hand pull.  I know some would say this is 6 too many - and I know some, myself included, who would never stray from the Bathams but honestly, its like a real ale theme park where you could spend a day.

And sadly omitted.  Makes me wonder what other gems I could be missing out on in towns I don't know.

Not to worry, the Station Inn is just around the corner.

The Station Inn, Fairfield, Wye Valley Butty Bach


Random BeerintheEvening Quote - "Wow..... The back street boozer is alive and well"
And that was my review - from 2013.

Station Inn, Kidderminster
Heart of the Community

This was winner of CAMRA Community Pub of the Year 2015.  By Community Pub, I think they mean it has people in it.  Once again, earlyish doors on a Tuesday night and the place is packed.  No room to sit in the front bar - where in a trip down memory lane, green baize crib boards are being used for their true intention.  So around to the back room, where we have the place to ourselves.

So what to have?

Station Inn, Kidderminster
Always going to be Wye Valley
The Butty Bach was in excellent condition.

Station Inn, Kidderminster
Wye Valley at its finest
Last time we came in, we left with half a dozen eggs.  Today, we were hoping for a evening meal. However, despite a full and extensive menu pinned to the outside pub sign, food is only served until 6pm.  Mrs Mappiman was most disgruntled, moaning about what sort of people come out for their tea at 4pm on a weekday.

She settled down after half of her Thatchers and the promise of a Captain Cods.

I expect to knock off the four remaining entries within a couple of weeks after my annual walk along the canal to Kiddy Xmas themed walk.

I'll report back on whether the King and Castle really still is the King of Kidderminster.

No comments:

Post a Comment