Sunday 22 May 2011

22/5/11 - Christmas in the Cotswolds

Distance - 5 miles
Number of Caches - 7
First Cache
Disgusting thing done by Molly - Eating Sheep poo

Broadway




Drop Ellie off at work.  Two days running, there is little doubt that she will be coming home today having told them where to stuff their cafe.  I needed to go out walking today to road test my new hat.  Original plans were for going over to Long Mynd but wanted to get back for the fascinating conclusion to the premier league, so decided on a more local walk over Broadway.

Go there too early to park at the Tower, but found some on road parking in a layby.  They say you can see 13 counties from here... and the drive up Fish Hill always brings back memories of going to the Reading festival before the M40 was completed.

Broadway Tower

View from the Top

On the way down
Pick up the Cotswold way from the tower back towards Fish Hill and then on new paths for me that drop me down to the town, going under the bypass and then onto the old road.  This has been a fine wooded track gently dropping down.  First potential cache of the day was a nano with a clue at bottom of a tree.  Didn't really help in woodland, so I gave it a wide berth.

Broadway is a tourist trap for Americans that have no concept of the calendar.  Check out who I bumped into....


The retail equivalent of that fella on the walshes who doesnt take down his xmas decorations
Broadway is a fantastic town.  There are some great pubs.  I really, really want Sonia to surprise me and say that she will drive me to a blues night at the Crown and Trumpet.  It sounds exactly like my cup of tea.  I will add it to my bucket list and if she obliges, I'll let her pick one from hers.

Go past the Crown and Trimpet and know that I will have a stiff climb back up to the Tower.  First, I get to play with some puppies.  This isn't on my bucket list.


Cute
And I even get to sneak up on a cow.

I'm not getting up for anyone
For a walk, there has been a high number of caches on the route, which has been a nice bonus.  Soon back on the top of the hill, and I know there is a dog friendly cafe there for a cup of tea and a teacake.

Cheers!
And my new hat was great... didn't blow off in the high winds and I looked rather cool. 

Back home for two and my predications are that Wigan, Blues and Blackpool will all lose and it will depend on who loses the worst!

No comments:

Post a Comment