Wednesday 19 January 2011

18/01/11 - London - Millbank, Houses of Parliament, Westminster Cathedral

From - Time Out London Walks
Distance - 3.5 Miles
Number of Caches - 5
First Cache

The Corridors of Power, London


Staying at the Park Plaza - Nice hotel, provided you don't end up on the train side.  There is no really close tube station, so I combined dropping my cases off with this walk.

Started at Westminster where you come out of the tube station with a great view of Big Ben and a great pub, St Stephen's Tavern which has the best view of any pub in the land.

Crossed over Westminster bridge, avoiding all the tourists taking photos - by taking photos myself.  I was actually down on the south side to Lambeth Bridge, finding the first cache.  There is a theme for all the caches on this route - they are small, black and mainly on the back of road signs.

Dropped off case and then over Lambeth Bridge and then West along Millbank, passing the Tate Britain and cache 2.  At Bessborough Gardens there is a third cache, so turn up there to go back on myself up John Islip Street.

There are some fantastic houses along this stretch - one of the thing that I like doing is looking through the windows trying to work out who lives in places like this.  And how they afford it.  If they dont want me to look in, they would close their curtains,I'm sure.

After going around the Church at Smiths Square, I head into a new part of London that I wasn't actually sure whether I was allowed or not..... Dean's Yard is barrier controller but is a public through way.  This is a spectacular green, completely sealed off from the main drag and a true secret part of London.

Around Westminster Palace and down to the Ministry of Justice at Queen Street and a tiny little nano on a tree. 

Into St James Park before another favorite part of London - Waterloo Place.  Finish at Charing Cross where the walk ends.

So many landmarks on such a short walk.

No comments:

Post a Comment