Saturday 15 October 2022

15/10/22 - Skipton Pub Crawl

Call off the hunt - for I have found best bar in the world.

I'm in Yorkshire and have ticked off 2 of the 3 peaks. Settle, as pleasant as it was, has run out of evening entertainment options so I have relocated to the Gateway of the Yorkshire Dales, Skipton. A town dripping in history and a smattering of Good Beer Guide Ticks.

My digs are 2 miles from the action but the Dales 66 drops me off at the bus station and before I fire up Google Maps to get my bearings, I am seduced by the music and excitement coming from Sound Bar.  

A blue print for bars going forward.

By day, a record shop.

Sound Bar, Skiption
Vinyl delights

By night, possibly a live music venue.

Sound Bar, Skiption
Stage is set at Sound Bar

And there's more.... at the far end, thronged with people, a real ale bar.... expertly manned by enough staff to deal with the thirsty hordes. In next to no time, I am taking a first Dark Horse Brewery, Craven Bitter to the only place with space. The stage.  A perfect location to take in the atmosphere.

Sound Bar, Skiption
It's swinging

The DJ is creating a superb atmosphere with a selection of Mod Tunes. Small faces, runs into the Kinks and as you may have heard, Green Onions.

I've got some great ideas on what the superstar DJ can play next.

Sound Bar, Skiption
Which I will take to the grave

I've peaked far too early.... it's a filthy night in Skipton, but I have to drag myself out into the rain to see what else is on offer.  Alas, there is little chance of a pre-bus home night cap - Sound Bar is a 9pm closer.

To The Regiment!  It's on to Early Doors micro pub, on the quest for unusual beers, craft or foreign.  As with other Yorkshire Micro pubs, I only find top quality cask bitters. A Reedley Hallows Brewery Pendleside, taken in more sedate surroundings on the only comfy sofa. Strangely unoccupied in a packed out former shop, I thought it could only be a trap, that would surely collapse under the weight of an unaware pub ticker.

Early Doors, Skipton
Early Doors - An 8pm Closer

Onto the Good Beer Guide Pubs....  The Narrow Boat provides the beer I have been searching for the last 48 hours.  A soft and juicy West Coast IPA brewed as a collab between Osset and Lakes Brew Co. I've not had a bad beer in Yorkshire but I needed some variety from the classic bitters found so far.

Narrow Boat, Skipton
At last, murk
Narrow Boat, Skipton
With Other Choices Available

A comfortable, multi roomed boozer with a mezzanine floor for pint-pot chucking, Begbie wannabes.

As much as I'd like to, I'm not going to award this IPA pint of the weekend. Almost next door is The Beer Engine who have a Thornbridge Tap Takeover. Jaipur on Cask. It's going to win every time.

Beer Engine, Skipton
To be fair, everyone's a winner.  But look at the colour!

Beer Engine, Skipton
Beer Engine People

A chance to try a Jaipur X on Keg was shunned.  I may regret missing out. Then again, 10% beer may have been regretted in situ... there's another mountain to climb tomorrow.

One last Good Beer Guide Tick to get - The Boat House - calling last orders at 10pm. I have no fear, the penultimate bus back is 10:20pm.

Rounding off the night back with another well respected pint.  Marble Brewery Lagonda.

Boat House, Skipton
People ask me where I get my walk inspiration from.  Everywhere, I reply.

There's a lot of early closing venues but I've got to say, Skipton has fast become one of my favourite beer towns.

Besides, these days, I like to be tucked up in bed before 11pm.


No comments:

Post a Comment