Sunday 15 August 2021

15/08/21 - (A Return to) Bewdley Good Beer Guide Pubs

Not often you get something for nowt but a spare Sunday coincided with a Vintage Bus Company running free trips to Bewdley. Four years since my last pub ticking there and things have changed. Out have gone the locals Rising Sun and tourists Mug House.  Replaced by two new ones (to me).

Transport to Bewdley
Mappiman is on the Special Bus

#577 - The Black Boy, Wyre Hill, Three Tuns XXX

By the time I've conquered the hill, I am unsure whether to order a pint or oxygen.  The tough climb from town an obvious answer to the question "why have I never been here before?"

Wyre Hill
Pausing for a breather - half way up.

A natural defence against any statue topplers who may want to protest about it's historical name.

The Black Boy
Pub goers know its a nickname for Charles II

The oldest pub in Bewdley - and I would argue that is also has the oldest clientele. Once I make it through to the main bar, through a maze like entrance, I can see I am the youngest here by 20 years.  Fortunately, another regular enters alongside me, making the sartorial error of wearing shorts.  All banter is directed at him and his knees.

Butty Bach, Bewdley Brewery and a not to be missed Three Tuns XXX are on, which I carried out to the garden, followed by the pub dog - Buddy - who had heard me also request scratchings.

Three Tuns XXX at the Black Boy
Marks out of 2 for the XXX

As befitting of an ancient pub, they also had a series of ancient pub games. There's a fun day planned for the afternoon. Bouncy castle, tombola and slap-a-rat.

This didn't stop me ordering a second.

#578 - Bewdley Brewery Tap Room, Lax Lane, Worcestershire Sway

I could have stopped to at least when the castle was inflated but there is more work to do.

The Bewdley Brewery have been running since 2008 and I've seen their ales popping up in some of the local pubs - but never outside the immediate towns of Kidderminster and Stourport.   It used to be the only real ale at our much missed monthly live comedy events but the beer was kept that badly that I actually chose San Miguel in preference.

But if you're going to try it again - at source is the place. The brewery is hosted in a former boys school, just on the edge of town. 

Bewdley Brewery Tap Room
And it was gorgeous

All their options on offer - I went for the Worcestershire Sway Golden Ale.

If I had a micro to visit, I could have had the Good Beer Guide in a nutshell.   

Moving from an ancient, traditional half timbered locals pub to covid crime scene tents in a light industrial unit car park.

The beer excellent in both.  

No comments:

Post a Comment