Tuesday 17 August 2021

17/08/21 - Donnington Way - Day 2 - Stow-on-the-Wold to Great Barrington

Distance - 15 Miles

Geocaches - 0

Pubs - 3

Previous Day 



Day 2 on the Donnington Way - where the route makes a detour North to visit a pair of Coach and Horses.

The first at Longborough is less than 3 miles from Stow-on-the-Wold.  The second at Ganborough is the only one of the original 15 tied pubs that is permanently closed.   Unfortunately, this meant that I was too early for the Longborough one to be open.  I'll let another blogger describe it.

Coach and Horses, Longborough
Coach and Horses, Longborough - I have also been before

Donnington Brewery - despite no active social media presence and a big play on tradition - have embraced the C21st.  There is a mobile phone app available that details not only the Donnington Way but has an easy day walk from each of their pubs.  This will work well for any pubs that I pass and are unopened - plus providing inspiration for future walks from three new pubs added to their stable.  The Pheasant at Toddington, Red Lion at Castle Eaton and White Bear at Shipston-on-Stour can be explored at a later date.

The route is faithfully followed for a very good reason.  Its heads through Donnington and of course, passes the Brewery.
To the Brewery
Alas, I can carry no more

The brewery is in an idyllic setting, at a Watermill dating from 1291.  I decide to make a visit and am treated to a tour of the site.  Not easy navigating three floors carrying a 70l rucksack but I do remember to duck under the overhead pulleys, still driven by the water-wheel.

Donnington Brewery
Come in and ask for Roger

Donnington Brewery
Where the Cotswold Gold comes from

I jokingly ask if they have any of the original stickers so that I can refresh the stiles/signs on route.

I am provided with a hat.  The odyssey now has corporate sponsorship.

Brand loyalty comes in handy for first pub of the day - the Golden Ball at Lower Swell.  Its 11:45am and they are not quite open.  Seeing my dedication, they are happy to serve early.

Golden Ball
Golden Ball, Upper Swell
Golden Ball
How to get Served Early

A chance for a break, watching the car park and pub fill up.  Reassuring to see for a Tuesday lunch time in the middle of nowhere.

The rest is much required, as the afternoon requires 10 miles of walking, sharing the route with the Heart of England Way for much of the route.  Wyck Rissington, Little Rissington and a non-Donnington Pub at Great Rissington - the Lamb Inn.
The Lamb Inn, Great Rissington
The Lamb Inn, Great Rissington.  Spitfire a Donnington Alternative

Accommodation booked at the Fox Inn, Great Barrington, where I arrive at 5pm.... finding the front door all locked up and bringing back the a feeling of despair last experienced at Hawnby.  Please don't tell me its closed down....
The Fox, Great Barrington
Fox Inn - I shall follow the arrows

They've got a bit of weird setup - where during Covid, they have closed the actual pub and are serving from a marquee around the back.  The dining room is still open - which is a good job, as there is nowhere else for miles. 

The Fox, Great Barrington
Where the Action Is

All evening entertainment options are contained here.  There's not a lot of joy to be had from gravity fed 3.6% BB, which I don't think stands for Boring Bitter.  An elderly gent tells me there are otters in the River Windrush that trickles through the garden.  I've always got Tripadvisor to provide inspiration on what I should order for my evening meal.
TA Reviews
Unpromising

Chester
Chester - the scourge of TA

I have to report that both the staff and the food were nice.  No complaints from me.  In the interest of balance, I'll leave my own TA review.


No comments:

Post a Comment