Saturday 29 May 2021

29/05/21 - Hungerford to Newbury on the Kennet and Avon Canal

Distance - 9 Miles

Geocaches - 3


 

It was all Greene King's fault.  They sent me a bargain offer for the Bear Hotel in Hungerford and I knew there was a walk that I wanted to do.  A review of my extensive to-do list revealed that this was the canal walk to Newbury and return on the train.

I'm not a massive fan of canal walks but I am a sucker for a linear walk that returns on public transport.  I also expected a high number of canal side pubs.

So I accepted their generous offer and with good weather promised, Mrs M decided she liked the sound of it.

The Walk

Navigation couldn't be easier and at times, where you walk with the Kennet to your left and the canal to your right, its very pretty. 

I should have really completed more research first.  If I want to do all 87 miles of the canal - and who knows, I may live long enough - I probably should have started at Reading.  Or Bath.  Instead, I have ticked off a middle section.  

Also - a quick look at the map would have revealed little civilisation (read pubs).  There was one on route - a passed by too early Dundas Arms in Kintbury - a mere 2.5 miles into the walk.

But fear not, Newbury has 5 Good Beer Guide entries to explore - worthy of a separate blog.  

Departure at Hungerford
Leaving Hungerford and finding the Canal
Approaching Kintbury
Arriving in Kintbury
Canal
Blossoms
Arrival in Newbury
Arrival into Newbury

The Bear, Hungerford

Exceeded expectations.  Its an old coaching house, which claims to date back to the C13th.  It would appear to have been closed down for a while before a re-fit and reopening.

There's a pretty little courtyard for outdoor drinking and some vague interpretation of the rules, that were leaving other punters perplexed.  I asked how the system worked to a young couple on the next table and they said "You order a drink and then wait 30 minutes for it to arrive".

If only it was that simple.  In reality, you went inside, found a man - who then said I will come with you to your table to take your order.  Which he did.  And then said I had to come back to the bar to pay for my drink.  Which I was then able to collect.  So it was kind of like the good old days, when you go to a bar and see what is on offer and order appropriately.

And what was appropriate - a rather decent Timothy Taylor Landlord.

The room was fantastic - spacious, with a lovely bathroom and a view from the bedroom window to CAMRA West Berkshire's Pub of the Year.  

Which Mrs M had the foresight to book at table for tea.  Results of which to follow.

The Bear, Hungerford
See if you can spot who booked John O' Gaunt

No comments:

Post a Comment