Friday 28 February 2020

28/02/20 - Ye Olde Mitre - London Dossier Pub #1

I've managed to track down a cheap copy of Len Deighton's London Dossier.  It's a 1967 guide to London - which of course has a list of the Capital's top pubs. 

Nothing for it - I've another checklist to tick off.

Starting with this one at least gets three ticks - it's also in the Good Beer Guide and the Evening Standard's Top 50 London Pubs.

Ye Olde Mitre, 1 Ely Court, Fullers ESB

I imagine the Hatton Garden thieves found it just as difficult to find their way into the vault as it is to find this pub.

But find it you must, as this is one of the classic London pubs for those in the know.   Look for an alleyway off Hatton Gardens or go through the barrier controls of Charterhouse Street and turn left at the first lamp post.

Ye Olde Mitre
Fullers Sign Helps
Ye Olde Mitre
Which leads to a secret world

With a pub dating from 1546, there's plenty of rumours.   There's a rumour that you are in Cambridgeshire.   There's a rumour that a cherry tree exists in the main bar that Elizabeth I danced the maypole around.

I was more interested in tracking down a decent pint.   ESB only in bottles, I can accept.   London Pride off takes the biscuit.  ESB it is.

The front bar is tiny but I was lucky to get a seat next to the fire, that steamed up my glasses and rendered my Untappd check in vague.   But in a place like there, there's no room for C21st fripperies.  I should concentrate on soaking up the atmosphere.

The real action is in the back bar - where if the gods are smiling, you will get into the little alcove they call Ye Closet.   That's something to aim for on the next visit.   The South Africans beat me to it this time.

Instead, I get to sit on wooden furniture that wouldn't be out of place in a medieval banqueting hall and entertain myself by counting the ceiling mounted toby jugs.

Ye Olde Mitre
32 (ish)
And if you are looking for the gents - try outside.

No comments:

Post a Comment