Saturday 29 February 2020

29/02/20 - The Widows Son, Bow - London Dossier - Pub 2

Pub number two from a list of the best London Pubs, according to Len Deighton in a 1967 Tourist Guide.

The Widows Son is one of those pubs with a story to tell.

You'll find it deep in the East End and handily next to Devons Road DLR.  I found it for the 2nd time whilst on a lengthy walk on the Inner London Ring.

The first time I came, I had no idea of its history but when I got home, I'd had a book delivered called "Britain's Strangest Pubs".   The Widows Son was on the cover.

The reason - mouldy buns.

The Widows Son, Bow
Widows Son
I could tell you the story of Napoleonic war tragedy - but a photo will suffice.

The Widows Son, Bow
A Sailor bearing buns appears every year
In the 8 years since my last visit - its had quite a make over.   I had heard it had been closed down for a couple of years - but its listed status has stopped it from being converted into flats. Unfortunately, along with the make over comes new opening hours.   2pm on a Saturday is little use to anyone.

However, all is not lost.   A photo through the window and I can bring you the mouldy buns.

The Widows Son, Bow
Ceiling mounted sack of buns

No comments:

Post a Comment