Wednesday 22 January 2020

22/01/20 - Bathams Pub Walk - The Fox and Grapes, Pensnett

Distance - 2 Miles
Full list of Bathams Pub Walks

Nice to finish things off. I came up with a plan to complete a pub walk of all eleven of the Bathams tied houses.  Naturally, I started at the source - The Bull and Bladder. Best part of six years later, I hit number 11.

Sometimes, its about the Journey.

Looking at the OS Map Pensnett did not provide too much inspiration for a walk but investigation into a bit of greenery to the north of the pub revealed Barrow Hill Country Park - complete with a volcano.

Don't believe me that Dudley has a volcano?  The council wouldn't lie in a PDF.

Straight over the road and drop down into the Barrow Hill Country Park. Heading left, a disused railway line is picked up.  Pools with herons, a big old fox and full of birdsong.

Disused Railway Line
Too slow with the camera to pick up the herons.  Or the fox.
A railway spur line to the right passes Hunts Mill Farm and then it a case of taking one of the myriad paths that conquers the peak of the Dudley Volcano. If rupture in the earth's crust was unexpected, so was the Black Country's homage to Christ the Redeemer.

Dudley Volcano
Atop a Volcano
Dudley Volcano
Better views available when the sun is shining.  Or go to Rio.

An easy path down from the summit leads to St Marks, the Cathedral of the Black Country. Only a short walk, but it can be easily extended by heading south along the railway line and completing a circuit of middle and fens pools.

St Marks Church Pensnett
St Marks
The Fox and Grapes is a traditional, community pub that soon starts to fill up. I have 10 minutes alone to catch it in all its glory.

Fox and Grapes, Pensnett
Brick Built and not in corporate colours
Fox and Grapes, Pensnett
Good beer mat uniformity and proper bench seating

I have all that space to make a seating choice. Of course, I take the regulars spot by the far partition.  The regular entered.  He hovered over me.  He left me his walking stick to look after whilst getting a pint.  As I hadn't taken the hint, then asked me to move.

Traditions must be respected.

The other tradition is the Batham's Meal Deal.  Roll, Crisps and a pint of Bitter.

Fox and Grapes, Pensnett
If only they asked if I wanted to "Go Large"
A walk from all 11 tied pubs but is my odyssey complete?

Well I've just found the page that lists and additional 18 freehouses stocking their wares.

No comments:

Post a Comment