Sunday 21 December 2014

21/12/14 - Shortest Day, Highest Numbers

Distance - 11.2 Miles
Geocaches - 53 Found - 4 DNF - 1 Guarded by Muggles
Time Caching - 5 Hours 15 Minutes.


It's coming to the end of the year - and a review of 2014 goals is in order. I set off with the target of 1000 caches for the year and with 10 days left, I am on 874. I'm not going to reach my goal - but a round like this could enable me to get my highest ever total for a year. That's some consolation.

Head off in darkness, and park up at the first suggested parking co-ords.  Always nice when the CO details where to park.

Walk down to Allscot Mill, grabbing a bonus one that's not on the trail before getting cache number 1.

Allscot Mill
Allscot Mill
The swan's keep me company.  Those two on the water, one I am walking behind and 1 that is in the field with the sheep.

With a round of such high numbers, I would bore you to death by talking about them all.  So, I'll mention my first DNF.  At Number 2.  Always nice to get that out the way nice and early so I don't have to worry about getting a clear round.

Whilst I am hunting, I see something I never thought I would see.  The swan in the field has been chased off by two sheep.

The early part of the walk is on the Shropshire Way and is on suitably excellent paths for a county Long Distance Path.  Nice views of the Wrekin and the Briedden Hills are always possible across this flat landscape.

Rodington - Shropshire Way
Shropshire Way
Sunrise over the Wrekin
Sun Rise over the Wrekin


Work my way on lanes to number 15, where I meet my first muggle of the day.  An old gent points out the Moat and explains that when he was a lad, there were the remains of an old fortified farmhouse in the middle.  He watched as the farmer used the building remains to construct new pig styes.  Not sure the National Trust would allow that now.

By number 26, I am at Rodington, where the batteries on the GPS need to be changed.  The single bell in the Church tower is ringing an underwhelming call to church.  The doors are wide open, but I don't see any punters.  Check out the pub and wish that it wasn't 11am.

Roddington Church
Rodington
Roddington
The Way out of Rodington
Roddington - Pub
Party Time at the Bull's Head
Back on Lanes where I record a couple more DNF on the Road to Isombridge.  I could nip back to the car at this point, but I need the numbers so do the interior loop.  This is where I meet the cache of the round.

Bulldozer
Somewhere on the Bulldozer is a cache
I spent the longest time on this - going round it with a fine toothcomb.  Delighted to have found it and more delighted to have put it back before the horse muggles trotted along.  They would have thought I was a bit old to be playing on old farm machinery.

Fail with one more on the round and head back for the last few on the road to Sugdon.

The Last Geocache
The last of the best caching day in 2014.
It a repeat of the path back to the car.  The swans have gone.  The hard sheep are still there.

Thanks to the nozi parkerz for a great caching day.  The caches are in superb condition - it must take a huge effort to lay and maintain a trail of this size.

Tonight I am going to dream of camouflaged socks.


No comments:

Post a Comment