Wednesday 24 December 2014

24/12/14 - Gibletless

Walk Inspiration - Country Walking Magazine - March 2014
Distance - 5.5 Miles
Geocaches - 3

In a break from tradition, I fetch the Xmas Turkey a day early on the 23rd.  I have now been doing this job that long that Mr Snape, the Butcher, not only doesn't refer to me as "Sonia's Husband" but engages me in some Albion related chat.  I feel positively loved up by the local shopkeeper.

The 24th promises to be a glorious, weather wise.  So I plan a very early walk to celebrate 6 years to the day that I found my first Geocache.  Not saying I'm an addict now, but there has to be a reason for getting dressed in the dark at 6:15am.

Sonia, worrying about the amount of prep work that's required for XMAS day, has beaten me to it and has been slaving away at it since 4am.  The detritus of 100 root vegetables is scattered around the kitchen and the aforementioned bird has pride of pace on the breakfast bar.

I am greeted with a worried "That Turkey you got has no Giblets".

Now, I am no Gordon Ramsey, so I cannot appreciate the severity of this complaint.  I busy myself by seeing if the dog wants to come for a walk.

She doesn't.

So a dark drive to Pershore, parking at the ancient bridge.  Last time I was here was the kick off of the Millennium Way, 18 months ago.

There are two caches to find by torchlight.  It's all very well remembering to bring a headtorch, but I really should have checked the batteries.  A weak glow illuminates my hunt and I retrieve them both more by cacher's instinct than the ability to see.

The walk can start properly now.  Head South West towards Pensham.

Pershore - Lonely Tree
First Light on the Way to Pensham
Pensham is a collection of ancient farm houses.  I manage to enter and exit without setting off any farm dogs.  I am all in black with a black hat and would be probably shot as a thief if I was spotted.

The route takes me for around a mile along the River Avon, providing fine walking.  Sheep investigate, expressing an interest in a first light rambler.  As the sun comes up, I get the views over the my favourite place in the Midlands - Bredon Hill.

Pershore - River Avon
Plenty of Walking Options Along the Avon
Pershore - Bredon Hill
Scatter my ashes on Bredon Hill, Please Sonia


The fields deliver me to the edge of Great Comberton and then into Little Comberton

Pershore - Sun Rise
Sunrise Behind Little Comberton Church

There is one last cache to find, so I deviate from the route slightly to lane walk back into Pershore.  It was worth it for a classic hide.

Arrive back at the bridge at 8:50am, feeling rather pleased at having completed a little micro adventure that started pre-dawn.

Pershore - Ancient Bridge
Obligatory Shot of Pershore Bridge
Check in for the Boxing Day Blog to find out the impact of going gibletless.

Merry Xmas all.


No comments:

Post a Comment