Thursday 6 November 2014

05/11/14 - Country Walking Extreme

Walk from - Country Walking Magazine June 2014
Geocaches - 1, at the highest spot
Distance - 4 Miles.  Every mile, either uphill or downhill.

I subscribe to a Facebook Page "Walking for Pleasure" and they are big fans of Tryfan - with photos often appearing of people making the ascent.

In the summer, Country Walking Magazine published a route for Walkers.  Now, I have every edition of Country Walking Magazine back to 1991 and I am not sure I have ever seen one described as "Extreme" before.

The challenge was on.  And I even found two volunteers to assist me on the conquest.

Only 4 miles were "walked".  If you can describe walking as either using hands to go up and bums to go down :-)  I think the only bit on the flat was the walk back to the car along the A5.

But what a day.  I am not sure what hurt the most - my legs the day after or my insides on the day from laughing so much.  Have you ever heard a German Sat Nav pronounce Betws y Coed?  Have you ever been unable to breathe yet join an argument about whether fat men or fit men sweat the most?  It was just one of those days - perfect weather, great company and of course the most incredible views.

With a real sense of accomplishing something different.

There's not much to say about the walk - we headed up via Heather Terrace, which was easy to navigate but a real pull.  We scrambled to the Summit.  Then (one of us) leaped across the Adam and Eve Stones.  More gingerly, we went down the way we came up, dropping down to Llyn Bochlwyd, crossing the stream and heading down to Idwal Cottage.

I have sifted through the many photos and will use them to tell the story.  I only wish I had got the one of the fighter jet doing a handbrake turn through the valley below us.

Tryfan from the Road
Tryfan from the Road
Trffan - Path Up
All uphill to the Heather Terrace
Tryfan - Working our Way
My Walking buddies making our way.  Plenty of Photo Stops.
Tryfan Gulley Walking
A German with an upside down head beat us to the top by Gulley Climbing
Views from Tryfan
Views opening up at the Far South Peak
Tryfan - Llyn Bochlwyd
Llyn Bochlwyd - Closest I will get to Australia.  Snowdonia is much better.  And Closer
Tryfan - Panorama
Panorama on my camera - Tryfan Peak to the Right
Tryfan - Neil Does the Leap
Look at the Concentration/Fear.  Neil is a Freeman of Tryfan
Mappiman Hangs On
Mappiman is a scaredy cat who is holding on a little too tightly
Tryfan - 3 Mates at the Top
Great Day Out.
Tryfan - Extreme Geocaching
Extreme Geocaching.  Only smiley of the Day.
Tryfan - Goat
This fella guided us down.  My advice? Don't sniff his pee.
Tryfan - Conquered
It's behind you!  We did that.
Llyn Ogwen - Terra Firma
Admiring the views of Llyn Ogwen from Terra Firma


1 comment:

  1. Great blog,walk + photo's.Max (walking for pleasure)

    ReplyDelete