Thursday 6 November 2014

06/11/14 - Here for the Beer

Distance - 3.5 Miles
Geocaches - 0 (But I did get a couple of drivebys on the way home)
Walk Inspiration - Pub Walks in Worcestershire


After yesterday's mountain excursions, something far more sedate is required.

I will use the opportunity to tick off the last of the Top 10 Country Pubs in Worcestershire.  So in a couple of years, I have knocked off a walk and a beer in each of them.

Today, it is the turn of the Three Kings in Hanley Swan.  A suitable short walk is found from "Pub Walks in Worcestershire".  It looks uninspiring, but that doesn't matter.

I am here for the beer.

Park up outside the pub at a collection of old buildings around a village square.  This is old, undiscovered Worcestershire - complete with a named tree - the 900 year old Cedar of Lebanon - and the remain of a Norman Castle, who's moat I will walk around.

The walk kicks off through the grounds of the Church.  Instantly, one's eye is drawn to a freestanding gravestone.  I cannot ever remember seeing a grave with a Star of David on it in an English Church.

Hanley Castle Church
Hanley Castle
Unusual Gravestone
Unusual Gravestone
I've tried to do a bit of research into it.  Found a few photos of it on Flickr and some references to Richard Mayall (for it is his resting place).  There's also someone asking if he could be related to Rik Mayall (comedian, from Redditch) and a census of 1871 showing his family.

At first, I thought the image inside the star could be the Worcestershire emblem but its just a flower.

There really is not much to say about the walking.  Its a short loop along footpaths and minor roads, through Gilbert's End and back.  There are fine views of the Malverns - where a helicopter appears to be practicing taking off and landing.  There is a field of young bulls who try it on until I shoo them away.  There is a moat, but you don't really get to see much of it.

In term's of things to look at, all I can give you is the answer to the puzzle "what happens when you cross a deer, a rabbit and a tree"?

Rabbit or Deer?
You get one of these.
As you can tell, I am looking forward to getting to the point (pint) of the walk.

A Three Kings Welcome
Cross the Threshold
The Pub - The Three Kings - Hanley Castle
The Three Kings - Hanley Castle
I know quite a bit about this.  It was featured in Doghouse Magazine Issue 4, so I already know to expect two buildings knocked together, the fact that is probably unchanged for 100's of years.  And in the last 100 of these years, it has been run by the same family, with the current landlady being the third generation hostess.

In a world full of "two for the price of one" identikit pubs, it is a revelation.  Like stepping back in time - a real life history lesson of how people used to be entertained.

At first, I am unsure if its open or not.  I tentatively walk through the door and the landlady greets me and points out the bar is through a sliding door to the right.  Enter, and there is a fire going in the Inglenook fireplace (welcome, its colder here than up Tryfan) and a small serving hatch.

Good job I am not a Fosters drinker - just hand pulled pumps with Butcombe and Hobsons.  Showing no loyalty to my Shropshire neighbours, I go for the one from Somerset, knowing that its a standard here.

I am the only punter and soon get into a conversation.  I am a day early for the beer festival.  I am not the only person to ask about the grave.

No one really knows the story.  But if I find out, I am to let her know.

Inside the Three Kings
Step Back in Time - Drink like a 19th Century Farmer Would.  Smashing.

What Next?  The Top 10 Pubs in Shropshire.

No comments:

Post a Comment