Sunday 18 September 2011

18/9/11 - Fit for the Queen of the Walshes

Distance - 9.5 Miles
Starting Point - Marlborough Drive
Geocaches - 2
Conversation with - A retired Monk
Walk from - Country Walking Magazine, October 09

Shrawley



Today, I must be back in time for the boy's football.  And I want to do a decent walk.  I have a short drive over to the badlands of town and park up with a view of where Sonia learnt to terrorise the local boys, the Snipes.  I have no idea what the old concrete builiding used to be, but it is my first landmark.

Question 1:  What's the building for?
I have never walked over these fields/woodland before and its an impressive start.  Realise that I have left the dog's lead in the car, but it doesn't matter so much, as the majority of this walk is in the wilds.  Where there are roads, there are no cars on them.

The path leads to Larford Farm and their fishing facilities.  There is a competiton on and its packed with brummies.... overhear a conversation that goes"Oi borrowed it of my mate but it was no good, all of the rubber split".  Hope it wasn't spawning season in Brierly hill or we would have more fishermen to worry about.  This place is like the place that time forgot, and I cannot believe anyone has ever been down here without a rod is their hand.

Some wild paths where we disturb a fox and have to forces our way through those bushes that leave you with spiky balls all over you.  I am covered, the dog is covered and we emerge at the place that I learned to drink at on a Friday night in the mid 80s.  Nice to emerge from the footpath but a) i have no money and b) its about 9am.  Not much chance of a drink then.

Jukebox, scratchings and beer - 80s style
Some fantastic walking down alongside the river on a broad path taking me into Shrawley woods.  This is a fantastic place to walk, especially in May when the bluebells are out.  There is not a soul here today and I complete my circuit looking for the one Geocache.  Find it.

View from a cache - what a big tree.
The walking is a complete loop of the woods and the official route tries to take you back to the small bridge that I have already crossed.  As if I was going to miss the chance to have a lark around on the stepping stones.

Elf an Safety have decreed a rope is required
Walk west, going past the forge that now has a sign saying "1652".  Impressive.  There isn't a lot left of it. 

Again, I decide to amend the route, as I really want to walk up to Glasshampton Monastery.  This is one weird place.  In a middle of nowhere a comminity of monks tend the fields and shun all the pressures of modern life.  I need to investigate to see if they are hiring.

I meet a retired monk who has come back for the first time since 1951.  He reminisces about how much it has changed.  I challenge on this and ask how.  He tells me the trees are a bit taller.

The quiet life of reflection
After sorting out which path I need (for the 3rd walk in a row, I am on the Geopark way) and I disappear into some dark, unfrequented with people, woodland.  It really is quite strange here.  There are good paths and an impressive bridge that crosses over the dribble of a stream that is Dick Brook.... but I never, ever see anyone here.  This leads me to the 2nd and final cache of the day, but I admit, I get distracted and forget to look for it.

Question 2 - what is the dog thinking?
This leads me out to Astley Church.  I have never been around here and I find it interesting.  I am like an explorer in my own backyard and its strangely weird sensation.  All around me I can see the familar hills and landmarks but these paths, hamlets and the church have never been visted before.

I work my way through Syntley Farm and across fields before I get a really familar view of my second house at Seven Hills Drive.

House #2 had better views than House #3
Soon back to the edge of civilisation and I have to fashion a dog lead out of my belt.  No need to worry - a man with a dog on a piece of string and his trousers at half mast blends into the Walshes rather well.

This was a fantastic walk.  Will be one of the best of the year without a doubt - we had great paths, riverside rambling, scary woods, retired monks and new paths to explore - all within spitting distance of where I live.

Question 3 - did the doodle appreciate it?

No comments:

Post a Comment