Sunday 18 December 2022

18/12/22 - A Country Walk from Astley

Distance - 7 Miles

Geocache - 3

Walk Inspiration - Country Walking Magazine April 2019, Walk 9

The great thaw begins.... weirdly, this walk starts in the snow but with every passing hour, well into the night, the temperature increases by a degree. By 4am, its a balmy 13, a 20 degree swing.

This is a simple (and local) walk that provides decent views of Abberley Hill, an ancient church and the chance for a 53 year old to climb a tree. I really need to have a word with myself. Just because a cache is there, it doesn't mean I have to find it.

Looking at Abberley Hill, from Dunley
Looking towards Abberley Hill, from Dunley
Worcestershire Way from Netherton House
The Worcestershire Way
Astley Mill
Astley Mill, with its fine weir

Astley Church proclaims itself to be "open at all times". It's a Sunday morning, so I half expect to be greeted by confused faces, as I interrupt a service. Once again, I should do my research before heading out. I find the C16th Blount effigies but miss out on the external grotesque heads mounted on the South Wall.

A new year's resolution in the making..... do your research before heading out.

Astley Church
Astley Church exterior
Blount Effigies in Astley Church
Blount Effigies - That's a lion at his feet - A tiny lion

No pub today. 

I am saving myself for the finest World Cup final in my living memory.


No comments:

Post a Comment