Thursday 17 November 2022

17/11/22 - Geocaching the Historic Pubs of Manchester - #1


A chance to re-vist classic Manchester Pubs, through the power of Adventure Lab Caches.

For the uninitiated, an ALC is an on-line treasure hunt. Co-ordinates deliver you to a location and information needs to be gathered and inputted into the app as a "find". All fairly nerdy, I hear you say, but stick with me. Some kind soul has created three in Manchester based around the best historical pubs in the city.

That's 15 old friends to revisit. I'm in, but I will do it slowly.

This is the first, taking in 5 pubs around the south of the City.

Lass O'Gowrie, Manchester
Last Visit?  A pint before a Mark Lanegan (RIP) Gig
Lass O'Gowrie, Manchester
Play the game by getting info from the sign

Lass of Gowrie, Charles Street. A handsome pub, with dark tiling inside and out. Its Green King, but dont let that put you off. There was an IPA in the line up but plenty of more LocALE interest. Slight concern that the pump clip from my Coach House brewing blonde was turned around after dispense. No one wants the last of the barrel, do they? It did come with the offer of exchange, if I wasn't delighted.

Mad busy on a Thursday night. I had to steal the quizmasters reserved table. Which provided the impetitus to leave before the I got embroiled in such nonsense as "What are the 5 counties that form the Cotswolds?".

Lass O'Gowrie, Manchester
Don't worry Giles - Four more pubs to visit.

Point deducted for a too early Christmas Tree.

Lass O'Gowrie, Manchester
17/11 - FFS

The Peveril of the Peak needs no introduction to the pub tourist. It stands majestically alone, as all the architecture of the city evolves around it. A vision in green. Dates from 1829 and is a unaltered maze of rooms around a central bar inside. A tardis in reverse, it always seems smaller on the inside to me.

Peveril of the Peak, Manchester
A vision in green

I managed to fight my way around to the main room, complete with the oldest continuously used table football in the land.  People watching, Timothy Taylor in hand.  Find me a better way to spend a damp November evening.

Peveril of the Peak, Manchester
The Centre of the Pev Universe

The Britons Protection needs protecting itself. I was aware of issues with the building owner, Star Bars, not renewing the lease to an independent landlord. Its a worry that next time I visit Manchester, this may be consumed into more flats. Or at best, not be a charming bar with a unique feel. 
Britons Protection, Manchester
The BP
Britons Protection, Manchester
And the history of it.

If the worse was to happen, what will happen to the Peterloo murals that decorate the halls? Do they contain the image of two Manchester United Players from the 1960s? The barman didnt know or care. He was a City fan. I could swear I saw Bobby Charlton but I had moved on from real ale to whisky barrel aged cider.

Britons Protection, Manchester
The bar, and a glimpse of the magnificent ceiling
Britons Protection, Manchester
At least three other Peterloo murals.  Not sure 60s Man Utd players on this one.

The final two pubs of the evening for part of what may be a unique trio. Three traditional pubs in a row? Can any other City match this? Even if one is a JDW, ejected from the 2023 Good Beer Guide.

The Vine and City Arms, Manchester
The Vine, leading to the City Arms

I must admit to not giving the Vine enough attention. Despite them using the same C19th tiling shop as the Pev. Timothy Taylor Landlord is my most checked in pint in Untappd, and its in absolute tip top condition here.

The Vine, Manchester
More Xmas Decs?  May have to deduct a point

The City Arms next door is the more revered pub - and some say that there is nowhere finer in Manchester to drink than in the rear room. A tiny space, where I managed to squeeze in, observe all of life in front of me and be reminded of the famous Belloc quote.
 
The City Arms, Manchester
Pub Life

When you have lost your inns, drown your empty selves, for you will have lost the last England.

But not before I complete the next two historic pubs Adventure Lab Caches, please.

No comments:

Post a Comment