Saturday 2 October 2021

02/10/21 - The Salisbury, Saint Martins Lane - A Len Deighton London Dossier Tick

Salisbury
The Salisbury - St Martins Lane

I'm unsure as to whether waiting for the scrape of the bolt at 10:58am represents a low point or a high point in my pub ticking career.

Walking the London Spiral Trail, I found myself delivered to the front door of this opulent Victorian boozer before it opened at 11am.  Too good an opportunity to miss, with the benefit of being first in providing the ability to take photos uncluttered with other boozehounds. 

Salisbury
The Keg Line Ups

Salisbury
The Mirrors

The pub is in the middle of theatre land.  Rebuilt in 1892, it is one of the final Victorian "gin palaces" that wooed punters in with its plush surroundings.   A mahogany bar, leather bench seating, mirrors, cut glass and bronze nymphs holding the lights that separates the booth dining partitions.

History - formerly known as the Ben Caunt's head - after the boxer landlord who lost his title in an 85 round fight in a field in Newport Pagnall.  

In Culture - used as a location for the 1961 film, The Victim, starring Dirk Bogarde as a black mailed homosexual.

I'm never too sure about the first pint pulled of the day but I had no complaints with my Timothy Taylor Landlord, which was in fine condition.  Photos taken, Cask Marque sign scanned I watched the pub fill up with tourists and regulars, escaping the rain and enjoying refreshments in a beautiful location.


No comments:

Post a Comment