Friday 8 May 2020

09/05/20 - Crowle, Himbleton and Huddington

Distance - 6 miles
Walk Inspiration - 100 Walks in Hereford and Worcester, Walk 46
Geocaches - 2

Lock down week 7 and a slightly more adventurous walk is met by the locals putting out the bunting.

Crowle Bunting
Making the most of a Bank Holiday
Of course, its really for VE Day, where drinking all day on a trestle table in your front garden is lauded at the indefatigable British spirit.

Well, at least that was what I did after this wonderful walk in the Worcestershire Countryside.

Three quiet villages about 5miles to the East of Worcester are linked in this easy walk along sleepy lanes and through wild flower meadows that nature is reclaiming.

Just a stile in the Country
Totally needed the reset this walk provided

Wild flower meadows
Nature taking over
Things of interest - I rather powered past Huddington Court, a manor house where gunpowder plotters spent the night, attempting to evade justice.   The footpath runs through the grounds of the manor house, where there's also a farm and church.

I spent longer, longingly looking at the Galton Arms in Himbleton.   What a classic of a country pub.  I'll come back in happier days but at least I have a photo to upload to www.pubsgalore.co.uk.  I'm almost starting to feel normal again.  But my mood took a knock when I read their website and saw they have Bathams on tap.

Its the big things you miss.

Galton Arms, Himbleton
Robinsons, the Cider Makers
The Galton Arms certainly looked more my cup of Bathams than the Chequers at Crowle.  After 7 weeks without a pub, even a Gastropub would have done.  I wouldn't have moaned about every table setup for dining, with wine glasses on the tables.  I'd have just taken my beer (£5 Peroni probably) and consider the freedoms that were hard won 75 years ago.

Chequers, Crowle
Going for the Gastro-estate hybrid pub look

No comments:

Post a Comment