Friday 20 March 2020

20/03/20 - The Accidental Wainwright - Dodd

Distance - 5 Miles
Geocaches - 1

A walk that was completed before the coronvirus lockdown


A last chance of normality.  Within two days of this ramble, the country went on total lock down.  I will be adhering to the advice and completing isolated, solo walks in my local area for the foreseeable.

We were looking for a quick walk to take advantage of the nice weather before driving home.

Dodd Woods have a visitor centre, a cafe (still open, with tables arranged 6ft apart) and in a potentially misguided act of altruism, a car park with charges temporarily waived.

I didn't have a route planned but there is a board of the walks - with four trails on.   Most were 1-2 miles, so we went for the Green one - a reasonable looking 3 miler.

I hadn't read the small print and for the first time in my life, I conquered a Wainwright fell in my jeans.   Secretly delighted, of course.

Its a well signposted and straightforward walk - just a bit more hard work than you would expect.  No inbetweens, its either uphill or downhills.

The early (and late stages) are forest roads through the trees.

Dodds Wood
Up we go
Team Photo
For a team photo

Eventually, we emerge above the trees. You know what I am going to say. The views on a clear blue sky spring day are out of this world. South over the fells, north over the Solway Firth to Scotland.

Dodd Views
Dodd Views 1
Dodd Views
Dodd Views 2
Dodd Views
Dodd Views 3

Last week, this blog gave up Pubs.

This week, this blog gives up far from home walks.

At the time of writing, I am still allowed a daily walk. They haven't stipulated the distance but common sense will apply. Along with the occasional bottled beer.


No comments:

Post a Comment