Thursday 28 April 2016

27/04/16 - Glasshampton Monastery

Walk Inspiration
Distance - 3.7 Miles
Geocaches - 1
Pub - New Inn, Shrawley, Wye Valley HPA

One of the dangers of being a committed walker is venturing further and further afield to find new inspiration.  And then ignoring the beauty that is on your own doorstep.

Light evenings can put a stop to that.  After a day of biblical weather (hailstones, snow), I deliberated about chancing this walk.  However, I just had to go out and get some fresh air.

Parking is at the New Inn, Shrawley.  The car park is interesting.  It used to be a facility used by ramblers on the Bluebell walks in Shrawley woods.  Then a new landlord came in and put a £3 levy on it, refundable provided you used the pub.  Today, there is a mismatch of signs - suggesting it's free to use, provided you use the pub.  It costs £20.  Your car may be towed away.

I decide to pop in and ask the bar man.  There is no danger I will not use the facilities, post walk.  I am met with the answer "I only started at 3pm today".

So off on the walk it is.

Up the track and into a field of young bulls, picking up signs to the Monastery.

Baby Cow
Not interested in Ramblers
Monastery This Way
Inner Peace, this way

The scenery is superb and a riot of colour.  Views to the clockhouse at Abberley School, over Woodbury hill and acroos fields of yellow rapeseed.

Views
Abberley in the distance
Views
Fields of Rapeseed
Decide to alter the route and get a closer look at the Monastery.  Always finding it slightly sinister, this place.  Walked here in the past and found monks doing what can only be described as "Lurking".

Glasshampton
There stood by the cross of Jesus his Mother
All quiet today, until the bell dongs and scares me half to death.  Must be the Monk's bed time.

Down across fields and into the gloom of The Warren.  Don't know if its my eyesight or the failing light, but I struggle to read my GPS to find the only cache of the day.  Must bring my glasses.  And a torch.

After a quick hunt, it's found and I am off to Astley Church to make friends with the locals.

Astley Church
Astley Church
Friendly Sheep
And a completely not bothered lamb

2nd potential cache of the day is a DNF.  I am in good company.  Although this has not been visited too often, I am the 2nd cacher to fail here today.  Must have disappeared.

A walk through the fisheries at Solhampton Farm and I am back to check out the pub.

Its a boster,  Full for a Wednesday night, with a mixture of diners and local characters enjoying a pint.  The HPA is wonderful.  I have been ignoring this in my local Wye Valley pub in Stourport - choosing instead either Golden or Butty Bach.  This is a mistake that will be remedied on my next visit.

The menu that look good value and portions can only be described as generous.  I think of bringing Sonia back here for the Bluebell walk in the woods and ask what time they serve food until.  You can guess the answer.

"I only started at 3pm today".

The New Inn
The New Inn
Wye Valley HPA
Wonderful Wye Valley HPA

No comments:

Post a Comment