Monday 27 October 2014

26/10/14 - The Road to Wigan Pier

Walk from - AA Walks through History
Distance - 9 Miles
Geocaches - 10

Two members of the family are having an adventure today.  Ellie's is the most important, starting a new job placement tomorrow and moving into her new home today.  I make the most of being a removal man and start the journey early to investigate the North.

I have not been to Wigan before.  After the journey up, I check into Facebook at McDonalds at 10am and get references to make sure I order a McPie.  Things meat and pastry related are taken seriously in this neck of the woods.

Pies are taken seriously
This was seen on more than one Vehicle
My walk takes me from Wigan Pier, themed around George Orwell's book on bleak conditions of the working man in the 1930s.  Having frequently seen the brown signs from the M6, I have often wondered what Wigan Pier is.

Curiosity satisfied, as once I work out Wigan's one way system, I park up there.

Wigan Pier
Looks like a nightclub.  Sure it is not.
Trencherfield Mill
Park up at Trencherfield Mill

I set off on the walk.  First cache in Wigan is found instantaneously under a seat, next to the canal.  And its the Leeds Liverpool Canal that will provide the route for the first 4 miles or so.

Leeds - Liverpool Canal
Keep the Canal on the Right and you cannot go wrong
Blogfans will know that I am not a massive fan of canal walking, although this one is rather nice, as they go.  It is devoid of rubbish, beer cans, dog muck and tramps - which is a vast improvement on the canals of the West Midlands and London.  In fact, the only thing to watch out for are the mad mountain bikers.  By the time the walk is finished, I have frequently wished they had stuck to the mountains.

Its all up hill, meet a T-Junction at Top Lock (cache number 2 found) and then cross over a green bridge into the grounds of Haigh Hall.

Crossing into Haigh Hall
Take me into Haigh Hall
The Hall has a country park attached - complete with lots of walkers taking a stroll and a miniature railway.  It also has geocachers - as one of the many conversations I have today is with someone who spies my GPS and asks "Are you caching".

Ellie is going to find the locals very friendly.

Soon the Hall is revealed in all its architectural glory.

Haigh Hall
Haigh Hall
Views over the DW Stadium
Offering Views over the home of Wigan FC - DW Stadium
A lovely path around the back of the Hall takes me back to the canal and into another part of the Country Park - Haigh Plantations.  A high cache volume is evident - only gaps in the muggle walkers presenting a problem with finding.

Autumn in the Woods
Autumn is time to walk Haigh Country Park
Eventually I am delivered back to the canal for a 2 mile repeat of the outward leg.  Arrive back at the car and make myself respectable enough to meet my daughter's new landlord.

Timing is impeccable as I get to the house at the same time as the ladies.  Two cars worth of Student's clothes and shoes are installed on site and we head off to the Robin Hood in Orrell for something to eat.

Good luck Ellie - we are sure you will be happy here.

No comments:

Post a Comment