Saturday 1 February 2014

01/02/14 - Since Records Began

Distance - 5.1 Miles
Geocaches - 21 Found, 1 DNF

Kemberton Geocaching at EveryTrail


Us Brits love keeping our pointless records.  Case in point, its officially been the "Wettest January since Records Began".  There is plenty of evidence of this on my drive along the Severn this morning.

January was also the worst month for caching since my records began when I got a premium membership in 2009.  I managed a paltry 24 all month.

I can't even blame the rain.  I got out for plenty of walks but the routes (The Brummine Ring, The London Loop and the Millennium Way) have been pre-ordained and contained limited treasure. 

With the calendar clicking over to a new month, this lack of smileys needed to be addressed.

This is what I have missed
I have missed fun treasure

I had a good look at where to go.  The abysmal January weather also clicks over and rain is predicted at 11am.  Initially, I considered a trail in the Cotswolds but there are a couple that are missing and I would not have completed by the time of rain.  Then I looked north and realised I could finish off a trail that I started in August 2012.

At least this time, I know where to park.

There are few people out at 8:30am and I get my first find with no difficulty.  I am pleased to report that the conditions are much better than expected, or have any right to be.  In fact, the only problem underfoot is a frost and some icy patches.

Not as muddy as expected
Not as muddy underfoot as expected
First six are found with no dramas.  Apart from the fact that I think I am being tailed by muggle dog walkers.  However, they mysteriously disappear, so I have the countryside to myself.

The highlight of the walking is down by Wesley Brook.  Hidden paths and strange water systems that eventually lead to weirs and pools.  This part of Shropshire is famous for these mysterious former industries.

Wesley Brook
Wesley Brook - at its most undramatic

In the Woods
Made up for with a suitably dramatic photo of Mappiman looking heroic
The third of six down this stretch results in my only DNF of the day.  I don't mind this, shows that I am not cheating.

At Kemberton Mill, I retrace my steps along a path that has turned into a stream.  Gaiters do their job and I emerge with dry feet.

Across fields and along lanes, I bag another 7.  At the Grove, I check the time and look at the skies.

10:45 and no rain
10:45 and no sign of the rain
I am arriving back at the village but there are three left along another lane.  I could attempt them as drive-bys but decide to walk out and back to complete the caching.

Get back to the Village Hall and it starts to rain.

Starts 10 minutes after predicted
Only 10 minutes after predicted
That's this area more or less done for me.  I have left a few unfound.  Thanks to Younggunz:-) & nozi parkerz  for the caches.  I had forgotten that socks can make suitable camo :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment