Saturday 14 September 2013

14/09/13 - The Lazurus Trail.... Tougher

Distance - 8.3 Miles
Geocaches - 26 in Trail, 20 Found, 6 Not Found
First Cache
Ascent - 2172 Ft
Duration - 5 Hours 13 Minutes
Thanks the absentmindedness of a student, this weeks blog comes direct from an iPad mini.  Despite being asked several times if she had everything, she went back to Manc without her favourite gadget. 

I am so 2013 for the rest of the academic term.

I have been looking for an excuse to come walking around here again.  Its on the doorstep and classic Worcestershire walking, with great paths and some stunning views.  And a lot of ups and downs.

Last weekend, a geocache trail was laid.  This more or less followed the route of one of the first geotrails I attempted. placed by Delta68.  I remembered discussions with addicts about FTFs :-)

This sealed the deal.  Must have been the excitement of the walk that had me up with a particularly vivid nightmare at the crack of dawn.  Still, it is light and not raining and I can get to the parking before the geohords come. 

No one in the parking space at 7:15am.

Early Start
Dawn over the 100 House.
Initially, I was going to do this in reverse.  I really fancied coming at Walsgrove Hill from the opposite direction for the first time.  However, there is a bonus cache, so I better stick to the prescribed route and go in order to collect the clues.

And once again, cache 1 proves beyond me.  I swear is psychological.  I think I am going to struggle and I do.  I am not going to spend more than 10 mins at a GZ, so slope off, tail between my legs.

Next one is found in front of an audience of 1000s.

Xmas is Comin
Honk if you know where the cache is.
I know what is coming next.  Woodbury Hill.  Or the lungbuster, as I like to call it.  There is bad tree cover and to be fair, I am looking at the views, but I do have to double back to collect a couple up the track.  Imagine my joy to walk back down the hill and to find a decoy.  Real cache soon found.

Get to the top and there is a toughie that involves a climb.  Who makes these caches?  Dr Evil?  An equal number of finds to DNF, so I am pleased I make it.  No log book inside, but I do have spare paper to replace.  The cache provides the first views over to the west which make this stretch so special.

After four more caches (one where I am looking at the camo for the log, when this is covering a bag with the tupperware), I come out at Walsgrove Hill.  This is the cover for "100 walks in Worcestershire" book and you can see why.  I have it downhill.

Clock Tower
I can see for miles
The clocktower behind is where I have to aim.  First I have to find a cache at a location close to where Delta68 placed one.  I went there 3 times to no avail, but today, I have it instantly.

Past the school, admire the deer and arrive out at the A443.  For nostalgic reasons, I looked at where Delta68 had placed a cache.  At the time was unique to me and took two attempts to find with much joy on success.  Its all sad, now its gone.

Joy of Joy, another uphill stretch and then I drop down to Abberley Village.  First, I join the 4 out of 6 who fail to find number 13.... my first DNF since number 1.

Abberley Village is nice, although its a shame that the Manor Arms has now got all its windows greyed out.  This was a fine pub and the location for my 40th Birthday meal.  Now its just another dead pub and Abberley is a dry village.  Instead of my usual pub photo, I explore the grounds of the church.  Never noticed that is part collapsed.  Dodgy extensions according to this link.


Abberley Church
18th Century replacing 12th Century.  Hill behind is bagged.
Out the village, towards Haseland Farm.  Initially, I think I am heading into a vineyard but on closer inspection, it looks like I have found a Hopyard.

From the vine to the pint
Whatever it makes, I will have some tonight.
Another DNF before I pick up the Worcestershire Way Again.  More uphill but worse is to come.  Follow the road around Shavers End.  I know what is coming - a steep ascent to the top of Abberley Hill.  I take the opportunity to grab the Earthcache - which has been on the list since I did the Delta68 round.

Knackered
Photo Needed for the Earthcache.  Notice the path goes uphill.
So pleased when I reach the top.  I know that its nice and level, although the tree cover is not congruent to finding caches.  Get the first two at the top but am disappointed when I don't get the final two.

How long can one man go around and around two trees?  This leaves me without the final two co-ordinates for the bonus - so its a double whammy.

Console myself with the downhill path, out the woods and the end is in sight. 

Woodbury Hills
I did them hills.
Back at the parking layby, there are three new cars.  I look forward to their scores on the doors later.

Thanks to Wacky W Junior for a challenging cache round.  And not just the hills!



No comments:

Post a Comment