Friday 4 March 2016

01/03/16 - Archway to Camden Pub Crawl

Distance - 3 Miles
Pubs - 5

Another Pub guide to London to nestle on my bookshelf, next to the well thumbed books of Ted Bruning and Bob Steel.

New Book
Latest Purchase
This one feels different.  It's more up to date and is pointing out the places to drink in London right now - rather than the traditional pubs that are always mentioned.

I'll use to it drop down from Archway to Camden and see what it recommends.

But First, food.

Bull and Last - 168 Highgate Road


Beerintheevening Random Quote - "full of porky middle aged suburbanites, pink socks and brown suede loafers"

Bull and Last
The Bull and Last
It's not everyday that I blow my expense allowance by 50%, but then again its not everyday that I have to text home to decipher a menu (Onglet anyone?) and get served by a Russell Brand lookalike.

He was that good, he possibly was Russell Brand.

I must admit I was slightly distracted by Twitter and the Albion's in progress game at Leicester to fully immerse myself in the experience.

A new beer to me - London Session by the London Beer Factory validated the choice of always going local when in doubt.  A fine bitter.  £4 for cheese.  That's per slice.

Downhill to something a bit more urban and gritty.

The Southampton Arms - 139 Highgate Road
Beerintheevening Random Quote - "it kind of felt that I was stepping back into another era (in a good way)"
The Sign outside shows that two of the three main food groups are catered for.  I don't do fruit based drinks.
Southampton Arms
Southampton Arms
Southampton Arms
Seat at the Bar - Lucky Man
This is the original beer and cider house in London.  A style that is being copied all over.  If you know where to look.  There's a clue at the start of the blog.

There's a bewildering array of beers available - none that I have ever heard of.  I ask for advice from mein host - asking for a traditional bitter.  Twelve pumps on and they don't have one.  I can go pale ale or porter - settling on Teleporter by the Summer Wine Brewing Company.

I cannot believe that no-one has stolen this name already!

The place is mental.  Too small, too many people, too successful.

The Grafton - 20 Prince of Wales Road


Beerintheevening Random Quote - "Very nice, very nice indeed"

The Grafton
The Roomy Grafton
The Grafton
Landlord - The Guvnor


This is more like it.  Space to breathe.  Room to sit around a large central bar - although I do manage to nick a regulars stool who had gone out for a fag.

An old school cafe menu board shows the beers on offer - you can just make it out on the photo where the nuts usually hang.  Of course, there was no choice when I saw Timothy on display.

Probably the best pint of Landlord I have had outside of Skipton.  Wonderful.

Tapping the Admiral - 77 Castle Road


Beerintheevening Random Quote - "An excellent pub just enough off the beaten track that only people in the know know about it"

Tapping the Admiral
Tapping the Admiral
tapping the Admiral
Mister Chubbs - In Front of a Truman's Sign


This is what my peculaliar brand of psychogeography is all about.  Without my guide, there is no way that I would have stumbled upon this wonderfully titled boozer.

Its named after the way sailors helped themselves to the brandy in the barrel that was preserving Nelson's remains, as they brought his body back from Trafalgar.

It really is a wonderful guide book.

If the Grafton had the best beer, then this was the best pub.  I order a Mr Chubbs Lunchtime bitter, which causes Mrs Mappiman to chortle when she sees the checkin on Untapped.  A great pint, discovered whilst working in Reading last year.  I am offered it in a straight glass, just the way that Michael Caine liked his beer in Get Carter.

Wondeful decoration - supped in the shadow of a lovely old Truman's Brewery Sign.

Thank's for bringing me here Des - Much enjoyed.

One for the Road - Hawley Arms - 2 Castlehaven Road


Beerintheevening Random Quote - "such was the draw of this God awful pub to the desperate chancers of Camden"

Hawley Arms
Amy's House
Hawley Arms
Bet those Beermats get nicked

Being as I am here, it would be rude not to show my face.  Despite its popularity with the Camden Chancers, this is a fine old boozer.  Hitting it 11pm, I was able to get a seat on a lovely old leather sofa.  On previous visits, I found myself fighting through the hordes on the ground level to make my way up the stairs to arrive at the roof terrace.  Many a fine summer evening spent there.

Great music.  Great memorabilia on the walls.  Great to pretend I'm down with the kids.

No comments:

Post a Comment