Sunday 5 April 2015

04/04/15 - Ridgeway in Decent Pint Shocker

Distance - 13.5 Miles
Distance on Ridgeway - 6.5 Miles
Geocaches - 14
Walk Inspiration - Self Created Stage 9 of the Ridgeway


I'm always looking for ways to improve this blog and I've noticed other walking bloggers writing gear reviews.  Having purchased some new Brasher walking socks, I'll give it a go.

Gear Review
They tell you which foot to put them on

Dressed like a hiking Jimmy Cricket, I head off to Streatley, Berkshire, to complete the next stage of the Ridgeway, walking west to meet up with the crossroads where I turned off the Ridgeway at the end of Stage 8.

What's Behind and in Front
Instant Reminder of how far I have come and how far to go.  Let's call in halfway
This is the last of the chalk uplands, so I know what the walking will be like.  A broad track with sweeping views in all directions.  From now on, the Ridgeway will change character, becoming less remote and offering a different experience.

Today, I make do with the walking and the occasional geocaching, sharing the path with only a couple of cyclists.

The Ridgeway
I've had 41 miles of this glory

Turn off the Ridgeway at the crossroads just before East Ilsley, heading south to Compton.  Another pretty village to pass through, again too early to take advantage of what amenities are on offer.

Good Looking Pub
The Swan at Compton

I'm making my own route back to Streatley, planning out footpaths wherever possible.  One path takes me into what I think is someone'garden but is actually a disused railway station, looked after by someone who's read too much JK Rowling.

Compton Station
Dr Beeching Victim
9 and 3/4
Goes to Hogwarts

An unavoidable nasty stretch of road walking for around a mile takes me to Aldworth.

Parson's Green
Contains 7ft Medieval effigies known as the Aldworth Giants.  
The next couple of miles are along ancient green lanes where there is no traffic at all.  A couple more geocaches to break up the walking.  Eventually, I arrive at a pretty little spot called Mutton Copse, where there is a steep hill to climb, rewarding me with some nice views over the Thames from the top.

Up Hill
Huff and Puff up the Hill

Overlooking the Thames
To see how the Ridgeway changes character after Streatley
Slip slide my way down to civilisation for suitable refreshment after 11 miles walking.  I've not been very lucky with pubs on the Ridgeway, being served some simply atrocious ales, paradoxically in lovely looking pubs.  Not sure whether it's Arkell's beer or I have just been unlucky.  Ever the optimist, I prepared to give it another shot.

The Bull, Streatley
One of the Stops in Jerome K Jerome's "3 men in a boat".  I've read that - its great
Politely leave my muddy shoes under the porch and confidently stride in with my socks announcing to the world that I have them on the correct foot.  Ask the Barman for a sample of the "Streatley Best" and he assures me it is superb.  In an Italian accent.  Can I trust a cosmopolitan European for a Real Ale review?

I can and it was.

Streatley Best
Ironically, I appear to have banged my head Geocaching - Unnoticed Geo-injury gently bleeding
A superb walk and I'm really looking forward to the next stage.  As Streatley (well Goring) has a train station, I can do the next two days walking linearly and make my way from here to Princes Risborough, overnighting in Watlington.

No comments:

Post a Comment