Sunday 18 January 2015

18/01/15 - Raffles

Walk Inspiration
Distance - 4 Miles
Geocaches - 10

I know I was out yesterday, but the sky is just too blue to stay indoors. So, I'll slip in this month's leg on the Millennium Way as a bonus walk for the weekend. And its a boster. From Barston.

What do I know of Barston? I've vowed to come back and see the winner of Solihull Camra pub of the year since I stumbled on it this time last year on a walk around Temple Balsall. Like the Temple, this is a village that has its roots with the knights templar. It's full of ancient buildings, one of them formerly owned by the Irish footballer, Robbie Keane.

I park up at the pub, knowing that I will be frequenting it later and leave the car to be looked after by a Donkey with an asbo.
Bartson - Raffles - Donkey Asbo
Raffles, the Biter
Head eastwards down Barston Lane and pass the impressive Barston Hall.  There's a high volume of caches on this route and the first couple are found before I cross the River Blythe.

Bartson - River Blythe
Over the Blythe
Its not long before I am off the lane and into the open countryside.  The Millennium Way is sharing the paths with the Heart of England Way along this stretch.  Fine views, interrupted only by the frequent overhead planes coming into Birmingham International.

Bartson - Heart of England
Fine Walking.  Even firm underfoot.
Bartson - Flight Path
Da Plane, Da Plane
I am delivered into Balsall Street and get early visibility of where I will be supping in February.  Last cache of the day found over the road.

Bartson - Next Pub
Millennium Way 21 starts from Here
Back into fields, knowing that the walk is soon to be over.

Bartson - Homeward
Back to Barston
This path takes me into the Churchyard of St Swithins.  There are indications that the Solihullians were rather puritanical, as they lobbed the head off their Medieval cross.  Someone who's good at working with stone has made a half decent repair.

Bartson - Medieval Cross
Can you see the Join?
Check of Raffles.... he's fine and has come out of his house and change my footwear, so I can visit the boozer.  And a walk is only half a walk, if you don't do that.

Bartson - Bulls Head
Solihull Pub of the Year
Its one of those classic pubs that haven't changed.  At all.  The light switches look bakelite.  The furniture can be described as rickety.  The bar is full of people and dogs (including a better behaved Labradoodle than ours).

I loved it.

Bartson - Bulls Head
Shine a Light

No comments:

Post a Comment