Saturday 6 November 2021

06/11/21 - Some Good Beer Guide Ticks in Borough

Back in the Smoke for a day that had it all.

Pop Music - a first "Big Gig" for three years - New Order at the O2.  Impressive venue, you could get to the bar.  They had Camden Pale Ale.  It was in terrible condition.  It was £7.70 a pint.  I had two.

New Order - Lights
Lights
New Order - Horricks.
Horrocks

New Order - Tunes
Per Song slightly cheaper than Per Pint.  Not by much.

Of course it was excellent but I am not slipping into music reviews.  Only to say that Bernard's sausage fingers looked very Prince Charles on the big screen close up.

In the Morning, it was one of London's Classic walks - from Westminster to London Bridge along the South Bank.  I've done it so many times, I took no further photos.  Mrs M couldn't be bothered, announcing "it's London, Innit".

 

Which delivered us to Borough Market, a surprisingly fertile ground for new Good Beer Guide Ticks.

The Rake, Winchester Walk, Marble Beers Lagonda

The Rake, Borough Market
Hey Pub Looking

A proper pub building, that inside manages to capture the feel of a micro, with three rows of tiny bench seating.  There is a much bigger area outside.  Which is useful, as there were an awful lot of pub tickers in town - all of us working out that of the fours cask on, one was off, one was a Rhubarb Red, one a mild and one unremembered.  TV screen required to look at a more comprehensive range of keg.

The Rake, Borough Market
What's On TV - about 16 Kegs

I asked Mrs M to take a photo of me with the bar in.  She included the toilets.  Always useful to know for the future.

The Rake, Borough Market
Me and the Other Tickers

The Globe, Bedale Street, Timothy Taylor Landlord

If it looks familiar, and it won't from my poor photo, its because it has featured in the Bridget Jones Movie.

Globe, Borough Market
The Globe

I haven't been here for more than 20 years, having been once and from then on after preferring to make my way to the Market Porter when in the area.  I can remember it as being pretty grotty then and everything shaking when a train went past.  The bridge is practically built into the roof of the building and I understand you can wave to the passengers when having a wee.

It's much smarter now, but the 100 green bottles placed on every surface are not going to be enough to make it linger in the memory.  The Timothy Taylor was in good condition but the next place along provided it in even better condition.

Globe, Borough Market
100 Green Bottles, hanging above the bar

The Kings Arms, Newcomen Street, TT and Harvey's Best

Seemingly, everytime I come to London, I find a new favourite bar.  Today, it's the turn of the Kings Arms to take that mantle.  A lot of love for it on the Internet too... I've joined a FB page of London pub and this crappy photo has generated 250 likes and counting.

Kings Arms, Borough
Imagine the likes if I had included the London Bridge Plaque

Whats to like so much?  Well, you can tell from the external that its an old school classic.  This extends to the welcome, where the staff engage and even thank you as you leave.

The beer? - I was, of course, initially seduced by the "Champions Certification" meaning a great pint of Landlord was both promised and delivered.  But from our little table, we saw the beer menu and noticed that they also do Harvey's Sussex Best.

It was so out of the world that I forgot to take a photo.

I'll just have to go back.


4 comments:

  1. Hope you enjoyed the gig, but how did you get hold of the set list, I'm very envious :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha! Not mine... twitter photo. I like to have a record of what tricks were played at any gig I attend. This seemed the easiest way.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good thinking! I have a set list from a TRB gig I saw in the 80s at The Marquee, it was sellotaped on the edge of the stage.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yep, my brother used to be quite good at nicking them from the smaller venues!

    ReplyDelete