Tuesday 30 October 2018

30/10/18 - Commercial Street Good Beer Guide Ticks

Tick Numbers - 333 and 334

This was a day that I never thought would happen.   The day I turned down free beer.

The future of work is a collective office space called WeWork.  Handily located next to Liverpool Street Station, its an office rental system, aimed at the Millennials.  It's got funky phone booth style private areas, hot desks and table tennis tables.   So far, so expected.   I sign in and offered a coffee and instantly notice there's a self service beer pump. 

Surely there must be a catch, I hear both my blogfans ask?

Well the only one I could find is that it's not turned on until 2pm. 

Still, I prefer my drinking in classic locations, so I forsake this offer and head out after work into the Autumn gloom to get a couple of ticks in the East End.

The Commercial Tavern, Commercial Street, Brew York, Brew York
20181030_164454
New Tick #333
A striking, pub shaped building, I'm initially concerned that its not open.   Excuse the smartphone photos but the two gentlemen on the right of the photo are sat in the doorway, drinking their own bottles from the supermarket and smoking something that does not smell like tobacco.   The other doors are wedged shut and the windows are offering next to no light from within.

I get closer to the action and can a) make out the outlines of some punters inside and b) see the signs on the door telling me to shut them behind me.   I head in.

It's all as pubby as you would expect.  I don't recognise any of the beers but Brew York, Brew York (so good they named it twice, yes I checked their marketing) was a decent hoppy pale ale.   I comment to the barman on the general gloom of the lighting and am met with a "that's the way we like it" response.

20181030_163301
Higher Wattage Bulbs required.  General Pubby Ambiance.
The Dispensary, Leman Street, Started with an Oakham JHB

A short walk down Commercial Street, passing a couple of classic pubs that haven't made the bible and avoiding pavement mounted cyclists.

The Dispensary is a former hospital but you wouldn't know it from the inside.   All tiled floors and normal pub furniture.   Surprisingly, the barstaff acknowledge my entrance with a cheery hello.   This is most welcome and an encouraging start.

20181030_165526
More bad Smart Phone Phots
There's about three hand pulls on and I go for what I think is the safety of an Oakham JHB.   A couple of sips are taken before realising that its not right.   It doesn't look good and has an awful, vinegary smell.

New Pub Conundrum time?  Do I make a fuss and ask for it to be changed.   It's not as easy a question as you would think and has been the source of many a landlord based row.   Another sip and its undrinkable.

Oakham JHB
Oakham Mank

To be fair, it was swapped without any complaint - I was that joyous, that I failed to record what with.

All I had to do was explain what I thought was wrong with it and the barman headed off to the cellar.  The pub clip was not turned around.   It remains unknown as to whether the barrel was changed.

So, two new ticks in Commercial Street and I suppose the question is, would I go out my way to come back to either of them?

20181030_164635
Nope, I would drink Timothy Taylor Landlord in the gorgeous Golden Heart

No comments:

Post a Comment