Sunday 21 October 2018

21/10/18 - Tewkesbury to Apperley

Distance - 7.5 Miles
Walk Inspiration
Geocaches - 2



I didn't get too far into today's walk before I was met by a police cordon of cones, banning access to Lode Lane.

I've had walks that require re-routing for many reasons but never before because an angler has fished a WW2 bomb out of the river.  What sort of fishing uses magnets anyway?


Hasty re-planning required, which leads me to Bloody Meadow - scene of a War of the Roses battle in 1471.   Lots of history in Tewkesbury and they proudly re-enact the battle every July.

This is a simple up stream walk along the river to Apperley and back across inland farmland.   Gentle walking on good paths, under a glorious autumn clear sky.

Bloody Meadow
Battlefield Walk
River Severn
River Severn

12:10pm on a Sunday and a handy pub stop off point - once you can get through the stile blocking cows.  I am unsure whether to stop or not, but pop in to have a look.  Door open but no sign of life.  Not really convinced I wanted the first poured Tribute of the day anyway.

I head outside to take this photo, whilst a man breaks a fence, rolls on the floor and gets attacked by a frisky miniature pony.

Coalhouse Inn, Apperley
Entered, but no goods consumed
Transpires he is the landlord and asks if I have taken a photo.   I reply that I have and would have taken a pint, if he had not gone all David Attenborough on me.

Time to leave the Severn behind and head inland, first through Apperley and then Deerhurst.  Unfortunately, I don't get close enough to explore the priory ruins, but I do see the impressive church.

Views over the Severn Vale
Views over the Severn Vale
Deerhurst
Deerhurst

12:30pm, there is a bang and a twitter update from Tewkesbury Police.   The bomb has been dealt with and Lode Lane is open to complete the walk as planned.

More 1471 Celebrations before heading off to my Premier Inn to prepare for an evening of Good Beer Guide Ticking in Tewkesbury.

1471 Garden
1471 and All that.
A decent walk from a newly discovered web resource at www.hikideas.co.uk.   As if I need anymore ideas!

No comments:

Post a Comment