Saturday 2 October 2010

30/09/10 - Carrock Fell and High Pike

Miles - 6
Geocaches - 4

Using up a the last of my 2010 holiday allowance, I head up to the lakes for the last time this year to knock off a few wainwrights.  Today, I complete Carrock Fell and High Pike, following the route in CW Magazine in Sep 2006.

Park up by the side of the path up - which is barely visible and stupidly steep.  Desolate starting place, as shown in the photo, I have the place to myself.



Starting Point
Quickly (although stop for many rests) gain height until I end up on the decent peak - complete with Cain and a cache.  The only person I see all day is approaching from High Pike, so I have a quick route around to find the cache, which has the handy clue of "under a rock".  In a field of rocks, this is less than useful!  Eventually find and am rewarded with a TB.

Nice views from the top....


View fro Carrock Fell

With the height gained, its an easy walk across to High Pike across some boggy ground on a indeterminable path.  Mess around with the camera on auto settings for a self portrait, with Carrock Fell in the background.


On High Pike, with Carrock in the background
Path down to the road is quite straightforward - there are three caches at ground level, one hanging from a tree, one under a boulder where the car is (forgot to get at start) and one a short drive at Mosedale Bridge.

Good walk today - 2 more wainwrights knocked off and good weather.

Stayed at the Mill Inn - top, food and the starting point for tomorrows walk.

No comments:

Post a Comment