Saturday 25 September 2010

25/09/10 - Englands Smallest AONB

That's Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty.



Cannock Chase
Walk Length - 9 Miles
Number of Caches - 4
Starting Cache - http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=cb5c02a0-28a8-48b7-bc81-7560dfdabda5

This has been chosen for the walking, rather than the caching and what a great walk.  The route followed was from an old country walking magazine (Sep 2004).  I have been buying this magazine and database the walks, so that I have walks ready for any part of the country.  If any one wants a list in Excel or as an Autoroute overlay, then drop me a line - I have practically all of them.

The Walk was in two halves - the first was south from Seven Springs Car Park (no sign of Stan Collymore, although there was some suspect litter) and heads south on fantastic paths.  A real place of isolation - within 20 miles of Wolverhampton.  Who would have thought it!

Abrahams Valley takes me past the inappropriately named "Hell Hole" for the first cache, which is at the bottom of strawberry hill.  I disappear into the bushes, just as a woman comes past with her dogs.  One of the dogs has a dead pigeon in its mouth, which enables me to talk about that, rather than what I was doing.

The paths are excellent and deserted.  Great views.

Molly on Abrahams Valley Path
The path comes around to Sherbrook Valley path.  This is great walking, next to a clear water stream, pulling up to Stepping Stones and then Milford.

Stepping Stones
Cross the road and my walk takes a different perspective, following the Staffordshire and Worcestershire canal over the River Trent and back down to Seven Springs car park.


Tixhall Lock

Aqueduct over the Trent
Canals are always great for caching - but retrieval can be tricky.  At various stages today, I was interuppted by boaters, walkers, cyclers and the ubiquitous pseudo tramps with Special Brew.  Today there were three and one shook my hand.  I think that I collected the full set.

At one stage, it looked like the staffordshire pirates had scuttled a barge.  I have seen these sorts of scenes with abandoned cars, but never a water based wreck.

Police Aware
Canal walks are flat and undemanding, but always have the possibility of pubs/cafes to stop at.  This one no expecption, although I have no cash with me.

Return to the car.  Enjoyable walk in great weather.  Only trouble is with M6 traffic, it took me twice as long to get home as to get here.

No comments:

Post a Comment