Sunday 31 October 2010

31/10/10 - New trail in Peopleton

Distance - 4 miles
Number of caches - 8 and 1 Bonus
Starting Cache - http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=06052431-9623-453d-be83-783e707bcb45

Back from a week's holiday, getting in at 2am.  Maybe it was the jetlag or maybe it was the cold, but I am up at the crack of dawn and logon to see there is a new trail layed in the village of Peopleton, around 15 miles from where I live.  Just the inspiration that I need, so I run a Pocket Query and pick up the labradoodle from the sitter and head off.

The only problem with new trails is that everyone has the same idea.  I meet cacher party number 1 at cache 2, lone cacher 1 at cache 3 and cacher party number 2 at cache 4.  What is etiquette here?  I always say hello to people that I meet, but when you are on a circular trail that both parties are following, do you really want to be walking around with a stranger for 4 miles?  I decide probably not and spend a fair amount of this trail lurking behind trees and rounds bends in path corners!  No way for a 41 year old to be spending his Sundays.

Think I meet some serious professional cachers - by the clues found on this car in a layby.




Geocaching.com Car.

Cache 1 is at a Mill House - literally at a house.  With people in the garden.  So i decide to give this a miss.

Caches 2-7 are between Peopleton and White Ladies Aston.  Flat countryside with extensive views and Wolverton Hall grounds to walk through.  Caches are all relatively easy finds - Number 7 has the co-ords for a bonus and number 8 is a very nice location - at a ford, with a right hand fork.


Loved by 4x4ers - The ford at Barrell Bridge

These green lanes are also popular for 4x4'ers, as I have to give way to they souped up 10 year old trucks on three occasions.  It must be the thrill of going through the ford that brings them here.  I get the same experience by sploshing through their water filled tyre troughs.

Return to the village and the bonus is in a fantastic place.  This didnt come up in my PQ, so I can only assume that it was not yet published - still, with the name and spot on co-ords, it was soon in my grasp.  Just as the heavens opended.

So, nice walk, nice trail, nice caches.  Thanks to the owners "Jayvon" for taking the trouble to set up the series.

No comments:

Post a Comment