Saturday 2 October 2010

1/10/10 - Blencathra Round

Distance - 11 miles
Geocaches - 2
First Cache - http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=22bc13ce-af4d-46b0-9e68-24a76cc0f06d

No photos today - took camera with me but there are no views, with the exception of horizontal rain.

Start at my pub - the Mill Inn.  Superb food and beer and a stonking breakfast, which means I waddle up the road and then up Souther Fell at a slow pace. 

The heavens open and the mist comes down - there are occasional glimpses of exceptional views on the zig zag path up Blencathra but on the whole, its a very miserable day.

I was going to go up Sharp Edge, but there is no chance today.  I would have been blown of this exposed arete - probaly all the way back to the car.

Rest of the walk is increasing misery, although I am out of the wind, if not the rain.  Mungrisdale Common is not really a peak - Bannerdale Crags would have had decent views if it wasnt for the mist and Bowscale is notable for its near vertical descent back to the road.

Saw one man with his dog - have my feet ripped to pieces through new boots which were tested ok last week.  Maybe it was the half pints of water that I tipped from them that soften my feet up to allow the blisters to come.  Rucksack is equally soaked - thought my camera might have been ruined - but remarkably resistant.

On the plus side - its the last 5 wainwrights of 2010 and I did get another couple of easy caches.

Somewhere more gentle next weekend I think.

No comments:

Post a Comment