Sunday 16 June 2024

16/06/24 - Geocaching from the Bell at Shenington, Warwickshire

No Power.  No Real Ale.


A week in Alcudia. They have the weather and Eurofizz. We have frost warnings in June but tasty beer.

I was looking forward to a proper pint. And I can always wear a fleece.

A new geocaching trail took me back to a part of Warwickshire that I thought I'd be leaving behind on completion of the Centenary Way.

5 Miles through knee high grass and waist high crops. Close to 30 caches to keep me going.

Through the crops
Through the crops.....
Geocaching in Warwickshire
... to find tupperware under bovine noses

My reward is the Grade II listed Bell Inn in Shenington. In harmony with the rest of the village, constructed in 1700 from the local iron stone. 

In a attempt to gain Mrs M's help in a finding tupperware, a late attempt to book a table was made, without realising that tomorrow is Father's day.  Chef said "No".  And so did Mrs M. I have left some blue faces of shame on the Geocaching map.  

The Bell, Shenington
The Bell on the Green

My cursory investigation had me think this was Hook Norton house. Closer inspection of the sign shows "Free House" in a larger font. Maybe I shouldn't have been surprised to see two of the three hand-pulls reversed, including the Hook Norton Bitter. The TT Landlord gurgled and spluttered and delivered a half of froth.

I'm back on the Eurofizz.

Chef who says No is summonised to pull through a surprising for this part of the world Holts 1849.  

And then the power went.

Everyone's Father's day lunch is in jeopardy.

The chef went village walkabout to confirm everyone's power was out.

You'd have thought he'd look more pleased when he confirmed it was.


Walk Details


Distance - 5 Miles

Geocaches - 28

No comments:

Post a Comment