Saturday 4 May 2024

04/05/24 - Colliers Arms Cafe for the Best Breakfast in the Wyre Forest?

Farm Shops - Treasure Troves of Earthly Delights


The final day of the Championship, so I need to be home for 12:30 to see if the Baggies can reclaim 5th Spot that they have held since last November. Hull need to lose to Plymouth. Who (along with 2 other teams) need to win to relegate Blues.

You don't get this drama in the Premier League beauty parade, where 20 teams battle it out to claim the honour of running Man City close.

So, a quick walk is needed. There is a rumour that the finest breakfast in Wyre Forest can be found at the Colliers Arms Cafe.

From the name, you can guess this is a dead pub. Research results are limited. A restaurant review in the Express and Star from 2009 when calves liver was a starter and puddings were less than £4. Oddly, WhatPub still lists it, as interesting bottle conditioned and international beers can be purchased from the Farm Shop.

Colliers Arms Cafe Farm Shop
First Cafe I've noticed listed on WhatPub

My route is the first I have tried from the Komoot App. This makes it the first walk I have had voice guided navigation for. I shouldn't have turned it off, as I managed to miss a 2 mile loop around Rock. Still, if you're going to make navigational mistakes, it may as well be one that gets you your breakfast early.

Worcestershire Views
Worcestershire on a Bank Holiday Weekend
Rock Cross Tavern
Time it right and you can find a working pub in Rock

Thank god we are early. Whereas a country pub in this location couldn't turn a profit, it seems the demand for breakfasts is high. We get the last table, near the "wait to be seated sign" and feel smug as this line grows and grows.

Although a fine Full English, I cannot give it the best in Wyre Forest Award. The sausages are plumper at Mimi's in Stourport. Which also has black pudding. And the £10 includes a cup of tea, which this one doesn't.

But they do have something rather special..... this is the first time I have really been in a Farm Shop.  I expected pork pies the size of a child's head but crates of Bathams for £30 had me completing a mental stock check of the garage booze pile. Mrs M reminding me of last weeks German order.

But I didn't leave empty handed.

The king of crisps, only previously found in the wilds of New Cross.

Walk Details

Distance - 3 Miles (meant to be 5)

Walk Inspiration

Geocaches - 0


No comments:

Post a Comment