Friday 29 March 2024

29/03/24 - From St Andrews to Villa Park

 A Second City Football Derby Walk


This appeals to my love of psychogeography. A seemingly pointless walk to unearth football rivalry.

From the crumbling St Andrews to the aristocratic Villa Park, housed in the grounds of a stately manor home. Blues - seemingly always suffixed with an away goal in the 90 (+3) minute. The Vile who won the European league in 1982 with just 14 players. But they don't like to talk about that.

The big question - how many Peaky Blinder effigys will be found?

Peaky Blinders
The Fewer the Better

The Number 17 bus drops me off outside the Blues, where my Adventure Lab Caching of the sporting grounds of Birmingham is stopped by an official, resplendent in club tie. He is warning me for my own safety, as I am directly under the cherry picker that is adding the banner "Knighthead Park @" to new "St Andrews" text.

Shilen Patel best not be thinking of rebranding the Hawthorns. So far, he hasn't put a foot wrong.

An explanation of my nefarious activities and he helps me find the answer. Harry Hibbs playing in goal in a 1931 FA Cup final loss to the Baggies. Already, I know its going to be a good day.

Birmingham City
Retire the shirt number - no, not Trevor's, the other lads

I would have brought you a photo of the Garrison Pub - long closed and near derelict on my last visit. The inspiration for the Peaky Blinders pub. Even Birmingham is joining in with gentrification. It's been sanitised and cleaned up to a point of boredom. Presumably opening soon, allowing the square eyed to have their photo taken next to a life sized cut out of Arthur, holding a pint.

Instead, I bring another dead pub. Surely the Woodman will re-open to serve London Commuters who have perhaps saved 20 minutes off their 2047 journey. Drowning their sorrows, as AI will have already taken their jobs.

The Woodman and Curzon Street Station
Curzon Street Station - the former rail gateway to the 2nd City

A trip down memory lane next. I haven't been through Aston University grounds since I was of student age myself. There were two pubs - The Sack of Potatoes and the Pot of Beer and a small independent cinema, the Triangle, which was the only place in the West Midlands showing Reservoir Dogs.  And Man Bites Dog.

The Cinema has long gone but the pubs remain. Bank Holiday, midday and I am the only punter in both.
The Sack of Potatoes, Birmingham
The more traditional Sacks of Potatoes
HPA in the Sack of Potatoes
In solidarity with students, I paid for my half an HPA with a cheque
Formerly, the Pot of Beer, Birmingham
Pot of Beer - rebranded as Gosta Green - still a fun pub

The Birmingham/Fazeley Canal provides an arrow straight route to Aston. Half arsed attempts at protecting pedestrians from a collapsing wall with a builders fence is simply pushed aside by the residents who can conduct their own health and safety assessment.

Birmingham and Fazeley Canal
All Birmingham Walks have a canal stretch.  Its the law.

With every day a school day, I find the 1635 Jacobean stately home, where Aston Villa have made their home. A business school now. Unexpectedly, the grounds appear to be open and free to wander - although there is an unmanned gatehouse and cafe. I half expect to chased for entry fees.

Aston Hall
Cultured Aston
Villa Park
Holte Enders in the Sky

All that remains is to catch the number 7 back to town. Where a CAMRA endorsed pub crawl awaits.

Walk Details

Distance - 5 Miles

Walk Inspiration - AZ - Hidden Walks in Birmingham Walk 5

Previous Birmingham AZ Walks - Walk 1 & 2Walk 3Walk 4, Walk 5

Pubs - 2

No comments:

Post a Comment