Saturday 12 June 2021

12/06/21 - Beer to Branscombe

Distance - 6.5 Miles

Geocaching - 3

Walk Inspiration - Jarrold South Devon and Dartmoor - Walk 20



It had to happen.  A Real Ale Walking Blog that comes from Beer.

And what a delightful place it is. A narrow high street, with a stream running down the side of it.  Gorgeous beach, with several choices of refreshment.  Three pubs to choose from, post walk.

From the cliff top car park, I am straight out onto the Coast Path, where a life long ambition is realised.  I geocache at Beer Head.

Looking back over Beer
Looking Back towards Beer - on the way to Beer Head

A choice is presented at Branscombe Cliffs - I can stay high and walk on the cliff tops or I can meander down onto the landslip - which presents a "land that time forgot" walking experience.  Shielded from the sun under a tree canopy, with impressive views in the occasional gaps.  Top walking, even if I know the climb back up top awaits.

Branscombe Cliffs
Branscombe Cliffs from above

Land Slip route
The Land Slip that is waiting to be explored

Under the Cliffs
Waiting for a Boris Carving to be added.  Or maybe not.
Branscombe Ahead
Back up top and you can see where I am headed

Branscombe Mouth offers refreshment, with a cafe - and access to the beach.  It also offers an escape route to shorten the route - but there's no need for that on such a glorious day.   Another stiff climb up the headland but the reward is a pretty church and the Mason's Arms.  Unless its before midday.

Branscombe Church
Branscombe Church 

Masons Arms, Branscombe
Find me a prettier pub!  (One open, is the required response)

Its easy inland walking on the way back - more hill climbing but once at Mare Lane - its all gently downhill to Beer.

A choice of three pubs are available.  The Dolphin looked interesting, in an old school hotel way.  The Anchor could compete for "Best View from a Beer Garden" competition but the free house that is the Barrel of Beer won the Mappiman dollar.

It nearly provided the title of todays blog.

Of course I have
I certainly have

Barrel of Beer, Beer
The Barrel of Beer

On a day like today, I only poked my head through the door.  The umbrella on the left had my name on it.  I can report there were two real ales on.  I can also report the LocALE Branscombe Brewery Golden Fiddler was a fitting finale to fine day.

Golden Fiddle, Branscombe Brewery
Afternoon Entertainment Sorted 


No comments:

Post a Comment