Monday 10 September 2018

10/09/18 - The Menai Bridges and Church Island

Distance - 5.5 Miles
Geocaches - 3
Walk Inspiration - AA Pocket Walks through History - Walk 72

I couldn't come all the way to Anglesey and not see the confusing tidal system of Menai Straits and the engineering feat of the two magnificent bridges.   On setting out on my third and final walk of the short break, I didn't know it would be a C6th Church that would be the highlight of the walk.

Chucking out time at our cottage is a negotiated mid-day, so this walk needs to be started early to get back and move the kitchen sink back into a family estate car.   8am and I am parking up behind a Chinese restaurant and heading through woodland down to the promenade.

Let's get the bridges out the way first.

Britannia Bridge
Britannia Bridge in the distance
Promenade to Menai Suspension Bridge
The promenade to the Suspension Bridge
Menai Suspension Bridge up Close
Thomas Telford's 1826 Suspension Bridge
In a case of "look at what I could have won", I walk past the Good Beer Guide recommended Liverpool Arms in Menai Bridge.  Last night, I nearly made a tragic mistake of confusing this with the Liverpool Arms in Amlych - which would have provided a very different experience.

Liverpool Arms - Good Beer Guide 2018
The Good Beer Guide Tick that Got Away
Out of Menai Bridge town and I take a countryside loop to find a bridge of a less grand scale and some fine, brooding views of Snowdonia.

An older Bridge
Progress in Human Engineering

Views to Snowdonia
Walks for another day
The return comes back through town.  The Liverpool Arms is still not open.   Instead, I have 20 minutes free for a circuit of Church Island and I am so pleased I did.  Atmospheric and providing fine views across the straits.

Church Island
A walk around the perimeter of the grave yard
Church Island
The inscription above the door - 630AD and built by St Tysilio
Church Island
The Tiny Chapel - confetti at the door suggested a recent wedding


A fitting end to diverse walking over a three day break. 

There's so much more to discover in Anglesey that we have to come back.


No comments:

Post a Comment