Friday 7 September 2018

07/09/18 - How Much at the Ship Inn, Red Wharf Bay?

Distance - 4 Miles
Geocaches - 3
Pubs - 2

An orientation walk, after our arrival on the Isle of Anglesey.  There are only four potential Good Beer Guide ticks on the Island and I am hoping the scenery is that beautiful that the family don't notice that I am taking them on a four mile round trip to get the nearest.

Benllech Sands certainly provides the distraction.  Especially if you have a six month lab/retriever guide dog in training taking their first beach holiday.

Benllech Sand
Wide Open Spaces
Joy on a Beach
Puppy Love

Mid point refreshement is provided at the perfectly positioned Tavern on the Bay.  Two real ales on, both LocALE.  Conwy Brewery California passed the sample at the bar.

Conwy Brewery California at the Tavern on the Bay
Pint and a Sea View
We could have turned back and by the time I have finished moaning in this blog, you will have probably wished I had.   But I needed the tick in the bible to show I had at least made an attempt on the Island's beer oases.

A half mile further on and we reach Red Wharf Bay's Ship Inn.   Who could not fail to be impressed at this historical boozer?

The Ship Inn, Red Wharf Bay
My Sort of Place
Bass in Wales
Bass in Wales?

Well not quite.... but they did have Timothy Taylor Landlord.   It's Robinsons here on in for the weekend, so I really needed to make the most of it.

I take son #1 to help carry the drinks out.   Bar to the right is packed and bar to the left is empty.  We try bar to the left.   There is a sign saying "use bar to the right".   There are quite a lot of signs at the Ship Inn.

So we fight our way through the guardians of the bar and get prompt service.   Three cokes and the aforementioned Timothy Taylor Landlord and I am putting my suggested note back into my pocket and pulling out something that will meet the tariff.

I ask for the receipt to check if there is an error, taking it back to the family table outside.

Ship Inn, Red Wharf Bay
The Damage
£4.40 for a pint I can tolerate, for I have been to London but £3.05 for a small diet pepsi?  Times that by three and I have spent the best part of a dead Brazilian on pop.   The table discussion is purely around the receipt.

Mrs M - "That cannot be right"
Daughter #1 - "Just leave it Dad, I will give you the difference when we get back to the cottage"
Son #1 - "I can't believe you're going to leave it Dad, that's an outrage"

Fired up by my son's vitriol,  I spy my opportunity.  The lady who served me comes out and we have a discussion about what size 16oz is and whether the fact that as 50% of it is ice, should they really be charging more than a pint of Butty Bach in my local.   She offers us dog biscuits and a roll of the eyes to suggest that she's heard it all before.

Once she leaves, the other outside drinkers join my cause celebre. 

A man from Manchester says "Son, down our way, that is what is called having your pants pulled down and your arse slapped".

Two ladies contemplate how many bottles they could have had, having been charged £7.95 each for a glass of cava.

I leave, feeling like a shop steward and contemplating putting my head around the door and shouting "Everybody Out".

Heading home disgruntled
The Walk Back - to raid the Tesco Express for 3 for £5.25 on Tribute

PS:  It was a very good pint of Landlord.   I cannot vouch for the Pepsi.

No comments:

Post a Comment