Sunday 24 July 2011

24/7/11 - Three ways in Winchcombe

Distance - 7 Miles
Geocaches - 1
Vaguely rude sounding place names - Puck Pit Lane, Strip Lynchets and Monk's Hole.

Winchcombe




I cannot tell you how much I love Winchcombe.  It is my favorite place in the world.  After Edinburgh and London.  And New York was pretty cool.  But it is right up there.  It's prime walking country and I always have an annual visit.  Usually on a Sunday, as you can park for free in the high street, if you get there early enough.

One my first visits was when I was completing the Cotswolds Way in 2006.  This was my first stop off point from Chipping Campden and I remember being very wet when I got to the old white lion pub, my bed for the night.  We go back in again after the walk.

Today, Ellie is dropped off at work.  I have been planning this walk for a couple of weeks but put off through bad weather and no company.  No problems today, as Sonia is up for it and it is glorious weather.

Park in the high street and walk down to the bottom and north onto the Cotswolds Way at Puck Pit Lane.  We are following 4 American ladies but have to try and keep our distance as our only cache is not far up here.  This is thwarted when they stop to take off jackets and then enquire about the labradoodle.  Its nice to think that this part of the world is that beautiful that even the septics, not known for their passports, are prepared to make the journey.  They move off and we stop for the only cache of the round.

The Americans continue on the Cotswold Way towards Broadway and we climb up a path on the right that is a bit indistinct.  Sonia complains that its full of cow pats and the stingers are up to her armpits.  We have a run in with the beasts that make the mess and I get stung on the back of my knees.  Arrive at the fantastically named Monk's Hole.

Cow Pats and Monk's Holes.

That's all the climbing for the day and the views over the vale of Evesham are outstanding.

 
Ask Molly which way is Evesham?
We now have great paths on the Gloucestershire Way to follow, passing by Father Ted's holiday home.

Too Much Gaelic Dancing
Head east to Lyne's Barn and then south along Campden Lane before picking up our third long distance path, the Wardens Way.  This is exceptional walking, as we have the views back towards Winchcombe and can see how long it is until dinner.

Lunch is behind us.
The Warden's way meanders its way down through sheep fields to Sudeley Castle.  This is why the americans are here.  You can walk the history and be a part of it.  This was home to Henry VIII last wife, Katherine Parr, who is buried here.  It was used by Charles I in the English Civil War and trashed by the miserable Cromwell.  Its thats sort of behaviour that would get your corpse dug up and put on display in a London pub.  It is our destination, as the Plaisterer's Arms is next to it.

Take me to the pub.
Past the tourists (and there are many) and into the town.  12:10 and the menu outside the Plaisterer's Arms looks good.  Sonia decides upon a baguette and I decide on the nachos.  However, the Irish landlady has other ideas.  After a row about whether they do Pear Cider (there is a tap with Gaymar's Pear Cider on it), I lose the 2nd argument of the day when it becomes clear that they only do Sunday Lunch.  And who wants that in 25 degree sunshine?  Still, its a fantastic pub.  What a collection of Irish Whiskeys. Honestly, this is a theme park to me and my equivalent of Alton Towers.

We move on to the Old White Lion Inn.  Another great pub.  Here, you can have baguettes if you want them.  We stit outside in the smoking area and get regaled with stories of the drinking exploits of the locals.  Last night, Sid was in till 3am, went to work at 8am this morning and is back at 12:30.  I bet Sid doesn't even know what an SSRI is.

So my advice is to be like Sid but do some walking rather than the working.

No comments:

Post a Comment